Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
West Linton
NT 14980 51821
314980, 651821


Dated 1789 with 1879 additions (see Notes). 2-storey and attic, 4-bay, oblong-plan, former coaching inn with irregularly spaced fenestration; roughly 4-bay later 19th century extension with corbelled octagonal corner turret to left (to form Temperance Hotel - see Notes). Rubble with painted cement render.

PRINCIPAL (S) ELEVATION: 4-bay 18th century section to right: base course, moulded eaves course; scrolled bracketed cornices above openings to ground at 2nd and 4th bays; 4 irregularly spaced windows to 1st floor with 2 canted dormers above. 4-bay 19th century section to left: octagonal timber panelled and glazed corner turret with weather-vane finial to 1st floor corner angle. Base and cill courses. Predominantly bipartite windows with single oriel window to 1st floor right. Pilastered surround to main door at far left, flanked by single light windows; later door to right. Truncated wallhead stacks with moulded bases between bays;. Above, 2-light canted dormers flanking bipartite dormer to centre.

E (END) ELEVATION: round-arched window to attic; coped skews with roll-moulded skewputt to corner. W (END) ELEVATION: plain with cant at NW angle.

Grey slate. Predominantly 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Gable end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: 1879 section with subdivided coffer ceiling to principal room to ground floor with ornamental cornice and timber panelled window soffits. Substantial timber fireplace to N. Ornamental floor mosaic to entrance vestibule. 1789 section interior predominantly refurbished.

Statement of Special Interest

The former Raemartin Hotel is a distinctive and historically significant building, located at the heart of West Linton village. Its two building phases demonstrate changing tastes in architecture between the two periods. The older part is dated 1789 over the door and, if not specifically built for the purpose, was soon after operating as a coaching inn serving the main Edinburgh to Moffat coach road. The 5-bay extension of 1879 to the left replaced an earlier stables range to form a Temperance Hotel and remained a popular stopping place well into the 20th century. The mosaic tiled floor of the entrance vestibule is inscribed 'Raemartin Hall'. A 19th or early 20th century entrance inserted into the Main Street gable end with a porch and balustraded parapet is shown in early 20th century photographs of the property.

The two sections are currently in the process of sub-division (2010).

The historic core of West Linton is characterised by its broadly unplanned layout, the result of its former status as a burgh of regality. The village has a reputation as a centre for stone masons and sculptors, evidenced by the number of reclaimed carved stone fragments and details, some of late 18th century or early 19th century date, that pepper many of the houses fronting Main Street. The variety of stonework used within relatively close proximity amply demonstrates the range and quality of the building materials, sourced from well-renowned local quarrys such as Deepsykehead, Broomlee, Kaimes and Marlfield.

List description updated at resurvey (2010).



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1855); 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1896). Isabelle Paterson, West Linton - A Brief Historical Guide (2000). Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland - Borders (2002) p753.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WEST LINTON, RAEMARTIN SQUARE, RAEMARTIN HOUSE (FORMER RAEMARTIN HOTEL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 14:11