Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LONGFORMACUS HOUSE INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES, COURTYARD GATEPIERS, QUADRANT WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB8344

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
09/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
19/08/1998
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Longformacus
NGR
NT 69582 57305
Coordinates
369582, 657305

Description

Attributed to William Adam, but possibly James Smith. Early 18th century with pedimented addition late 18th to early 19th century; further additions and alterations mid to later 19th century. Symmetrical 2 storey with attic and basement, 7-bay classical house with 3-bay pedimented frontispiece advanced at centre; columnar portico at ground. Predominantly harled; coursed and tooled sandstone to pedimented frontispiece; sandstone ashlar dressings throughout. Sandstone band at principal floor stepped out to basement; moulded and corniced eaves. Rusticated sandstone quoins; sandstone surrounds to openings (predominantly stop chamfered); flush cills. Single storey ancillary structures (former game store and laundry) to N with adjoining walls enclosing courtyard.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to projecting portico centred at ground with paired Tuscan Doric columns to outer left and right, plain frieze, cornice, parapet; timber panelled door recessed within; border glazed fanlight; narrow side-lights; engaged pilasters to outer left and right. Single window aligned at 1st floor; single windows at ground and 1st floors in flanking bays; surmounting pediment with carved palmette cradling central oculus; urn-shaped finials. Single windows at basement, ground and 1st floors in remaining bays recessed to outer left and right; pedimented timber dormers between outer bays above.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay. Single windows at ground and 1st floors in both bays; pedimented dormer centred above.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: flush 3-bay centrepiece with modern steps oversailing basement to French doors centred at ground (lugged surround); single window below; single window above; single windows at all floors in flanking bays; platformed, pyramidal-roofed attic addition above with 2 pedimented dormers breaking corniced eaves (bracketed cills); decorative finial. Single windows at all floors in remaining bays to outer left and right; pedimented timber dormers between outer bays above.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: part-glazed timber panelled door at basement off-set to left of centre.

Predominantly replacement 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; lying-pane basement glazing at rear; 4-pane basement glazing to front; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case attic lights. Graded grey slate piend and platform, slightly bell-cast roof; platformed pyramidal attic roof to rear. Replacement rainwater goods. Corniced sandstone ashlar stacks flanking centre; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: former game store and laundry to NE and NW respectively with adjoining walls enclosing rectangular courtyard. Squared and snecked whinstone to both (rake-jointed in part); tooled cream sandstone dressings; overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Sandstone quoins; long and short sandstone surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Former game store to NE: single storey, single bay near square-plan block. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to left of centre. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window at centre; adjoining rubble wall recessed to outer left. N (REAR) ELEVATION: single window at centre; adjoining rubble wall to outer right. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window at centre. 3-pane opaque-glazed timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate pyramidal roof with pyramidal-capped, louvred ventilator. INTERIOR: not seen 1997. Former laundry to NW: single storey, 5- by 2-bay, rectangular-plan block. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; square-headed garage opening to outer left; single windows in 2 bays to right of centre; boarded timber door in bay to outer right. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: single windows in both bays; boarded timber door in coped rubble wall adjoined to outer left. Graded grey slate piended roof. Corniced sandstone ashlar ridge stack at centre; circular cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

COURTYARD GATEPIERS: coursed cream sandstone ashlar square-plan piers flanking courtyard entrance; surmounting ball shaped finials; gates missing.

QUADRANT WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low coped tooled rubble quadrant walls flanking main (SW) entrance; spearheaded iron railings. Pyramidal-capped, square-plan piers to outer left and right. Chamfered square-plan gatepiers flanking entrance with decorative sandstone caps. Spearheaded iron pedestrian entry gates; 2-leaf spearheaded vehicular access gates. Modern gatepiers flanking side (W) entrance; modern gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Sir Robert Sinclair and shown in its original form (without its pedimented frontispiece or columnar portico) in William Adam?s VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS. Some have assumed from this that Adam was the architect of Longformacus. However, it should be noted that the plates depicting the likes of Mavisbank, The Drum and Duff House (all definite Adam attributions) are signed "Adam inv", "Adam architectus" or "Adam inv: et delin". The fact that the Longformacus plate is signed "Adam delin", implies that although responsible for the drawing, he was not responsible for the original design. Strang suggests James Smith (circa 1645-1731) as the possible architect and although not confirmed, the plain classicism of the likes of Strathleven, Melville and Newhailes do bear similarity. The removal of the late Victorian wing to the N in the 1970s has restored Longformacus House to its original state and much of its exterior detailing remains intact. Interior photographs held in the NMRS show decorative plasterwork, timber panelled dados, a variety of fireplaces, timber panelled doors and a range of service bells. Although not seen, it is assumed that these features remain. Both historically and architecturally, Longformacus House remains one of the most significant buildings in the parish and indeed, within Scotland as a whole. The nearby dovecot, walled garden and gate lodge ('The Lodge') are all listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1857 (evident). F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER (1884) p555. BERWICKSHIRE NATURALISTS' CLUB, TRANSACTIONS (1906-08) p151-160. VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS (conceived 1726, printed 1812, reprinted 1980). RUTHERFURD'S SOUTHERN COUNTIES' REGISTER (1866 reprinted 1990), p663. C A Strang BORDERS AND BERWICK: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p35-36. Miss Hilda May Darling's Country House Album, NMRS, No 78. NMRS photographic records.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LONGFORMACUS HOUSE INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES, COURTYARD GATEPIERS, QUADRANT WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/12/2018 13:15