Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KILTARLITY FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLANDLB8080

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
17/04/1986
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Kiltarlity And Convinth
NGR
NH 50643 41144
Coordinates
250643, 841144

Description

1846. Simple rectangular church orientated E-W. Harl pointed

rubble with roughly tooled ashlar dressings. Single-storey

gabled Minister's porch in centre of S elevation with side

entrance and apex stack. Late 19th century timber porch at

W gable and modern harled porch at E, both with round-headed

gallery window above. 4 long round-headed windows in south

elevation, 2 later square headed in centre rear; multi-pane

glazing with intersecting tracery to all round-headed

windows.

Birdcage bellcote with ogee cap and ball finial at west

gable apex; shaped finial at east; slate roof.

Interior; galleries removed and later inserted walls much

reduce central area used for worship and creating store (W)

and entrance lobby (E). Modern raised and panelled

Minister's desk in centre of south wall.

Simple rubble walled enclosure.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. First application to

Lord Lovat by Free Church congregation for ground on

which to build church said to have been turned down. Circa

1845 he donated present site, on which it is said he had

intended to build RC church, but had eventually (1826) built

that at Eskadale, the situation at Kilarlity being too close

to Parish Church of Scotland and not welcomed by Established congregation. When donated 1845/6 the site was said to have

on it stone prepared for the RC church, which was utilised

for the present Free Church. (Information per present

Minister, 1984).

References

Bibliography

W. Ewing, ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH ii (1914), p.209.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILTARLITY FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/01/2023 06:11