1710 corps-de-logis with later additions. 2 storey and basement classical country house; 5 bay corps-de-logis with 2 storey single bay links to 3 bay pavilions. Harled with polished sandstone ashlar dressings; long and short rusticated quoins. Base course; dividing band course; eaves course.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Corps-de-logis: balustraded stone steps to entrance added by J MacIntyre Henry, 1898; central doorway with engaged Ionic columns supporting Ionic entablature surmounted by balustraded balcony; armorial shield above; 2 leaf panelled timber door with brass handles; flanked by 2 windows; regular fenestration to 1st floor; segmental arched pediment above, with central oclulus and carved finials. Regular fenestration to ground and 1st floor of flanking bays. Links: late 18th century, raised 1 storey by J MacIntyre Henry in 1898; round arched windows with keystones to ground; single window to 1st floor. Pavilions: 3 bays; advanced; central bays further advanced with Venetian window to centre at ground; tripartite window with blind outer panes to 1st floor; regular fenestration to flanking bays; single window to 1st floor left return of right pavilion; basement with central tripartite window flanked by 2 single windows to left pavilion.
S ELEVATION: until recently attached to stable block; asymmetrical, 2 bay; window centred to ground of left bay flanked by timber panelled door to right with 3 pane fanlight; single window above to 1st floor; tripartite window to ground of bay to right with gabled window breaking eaves off centre to left at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: corps-de-logis: symmetrical, 2 storey and basement, 5 bay; central bay bowed forward through 2 storeys and basement, circa 1800; segmental arched pediment behind; central doorway to ground reached by stone steps with wrought iron railings; 2 leaf glazed timber door with 3 pane fanlight; flanked by 2 single windows; regular fenestration to 1st floor and basement; replacement door to centre of basement; oculus to centre of pediment; decorative finials. Regular fenestration to flanking bays; with small windows to left hand bays of basement. Links: recessed 2 storey, 2 bay link to left with regular fenestration and 2 leaf boarded timber opening to right at ground. Recessed 2 storey link to right with timber panelled door to left of ground floor; open loggia to right of ground; irregular fenestration. Pavilions: advanced, symmetrical, 2 storey, 2 bay pavilion to right with regular fenestration. Advanced, asymmetrical, 2 storey, 2 bay pavilion to left; bowed window at ground to left bay with 2 pedimented windows breaking eaves above; timber panelled door with window to left at ground of bay to right; window to 1st floor; window to ground floor of right return.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical, window in bay to left of ground floor; irregular fenestration to 1st floor.
Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roofs with lead ridges; 2 roof lights to E elevation. Cast iron rainwater goods. Corniced harled stacks with polished margins and circular cans; 4 breaking pitch of corps-de-logis, wallhead stacks to remainder.
INTERIOR: corps de logis: primarily 1898 recently re decorated (1997). Entered through small porch with mosaic floor to glazed oak door. Oak panelled entrance hall, originally also serving as ballroom; movable Ionic columns; oak fireplace with fluted frieze, flanked by Ionic pilasters; oak shutters. Depressed arches to left and right give access to remainder of house; galleried oak staircase to left, with barley sugar balusters, to 1st and attic floors. Remainder of ground floor principal rooms have oak panelling to dado and neo Classical style fireplaces (Adam imitation). Billiard room to S of ground floor with bowed window, Adam style plaster ceiling; original, circa 1710, timber corner fireplace with carved ogee frieze. 1st floor rooms similar to those at ground, but some with framed panelled walls and coved ceilings. Rooms in wings, either side of corridor, mainly bedrooms, bathrooms and sitting rooms with simple moulded cornicing and skirting boards. Attic not seen 1997.
GATEPIERS, GATES, BOUNDARY WALLS AND HA HA: main gates to NW of house. Polished ashlar coped gatepiers with chamfered margins and pyramidal caps; modern replacement gates; flat coped tooled coursed stone quadrant walls swept back to gates; rusticated fluted piers to angles with rubble walls and semi circular coping to policies. Stone Ha ha to E of house.
J Sinclair, THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, (1793), p263; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p152, 176 177; 1st (1852) and 2nd (1892) Edition OS Maps; F H Groome (ed), ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1882), Vol 5: p31, Vol 2: p332; J Small, CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS, (1883), Vol 1; H Kirkland (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF MIDLOTHIAN, (1985), p223; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p325 326; H Kirkland (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF MIDLOTHIAN, (1985), p223; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p121 122; NMRS Photographs, Conference Centre Notes, Estate and Sale Catalogue (Bell-Ingram, 1985); A Fraser, MIDLOTHIAN: A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DISTRICT TO 1955, p25 27; LOANHEAD LOCAL STUDIES LIBRARY, Middleton File.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MIDDLETON HALL, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, GATES, HA-HA AND BOUNDARY WALLS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 22/03/2019 03:57