Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Inverness And Bona
NH 62759 42368
262759, 842368


Mid 18th century symmetrical 2-storey house over raised

basement, 5-bay S front, recast with extensive 1872 side and

rear additions. All white harled with ashlar dressings and

margins. Original house with paired outer bays in S front;

centre corniced door reach by much altered double stair

oversailing raised basement. Wide band course links raised

basement windows narrower course between tall ground and

1st floor windows, the latter linked by lintel-eaves band;

12-pane glazing; moulded eaves cornice; stepped blocking

course; wide coped end stacks; slate roof. Extensive

asymmetrical additions and principal entrance re-cast to

north elevation; wide entrance porch masked by crenellated porte-cochere; gabled elevation with (to west of entrance)

mullioned and transomed stair window with shouldered lintels

and canted oriel. Decorative pediments to dormers breaking

wallhead; 2-pane glazing; stepped and moulded string course.

2 square towers with corbelled wallhead (and later truncated

and capped roofs). Apex finials coped ridge stacks; slate


Interior; original staircase removed during 1872 alterations.

Some decorative plaster ceiling cornices survive.

Statement of Special Interest

Now part of Craig Dunain Hospital. Originally home of Baillie

of Dunain. Monogram AGD for AG Dallas on 1872 wing.



DIRECTORY OF GENTLEMEN'S SEATS (1873), p.145. Ian Macleod,

CRAIG DUNAIN HOSPITAL - 1864-1964 (nd)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNAIN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 13:53