Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULLODEN HOUSE, GATE PIERS AND GARDENERS' BOTHY.LB8039

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Inverness And Bona
NGR
NH 72107 46479
Coordinates
272107, 846479

Description

House; circa 1788, classical astylar double pile mansion

linked to lower pavilions by quadrants. Central block of

2 storeys and mansard attic over raised basement linked by

single storey quadrant to outer pavilions, each of 2

storeys over raised basement. Rusticated ashlar raised

basement and groins; above elevations cherry-caulked red

rubble with contrasting polished sandstone dressings; harl

pointed flanks. Slightly advanced and pedimented centre bay

in SW entrance front; coat of arms in tympanum with military accoutrements above door with flanking engaged Roman Doric

columns and open pediment; triglyph and rosette frieze

continues over side windows (with balustraded aprons), all

set in shallow recessed panel; delicate fanlight, Venetian

window with Ionic order in 1st floor. Paired end stacks on

shaped gables; mansarded slated attic with dormers behind

balustrade. Outer pavilions with simple wallhead cornice

and blocking course linked to centre range by single storey

quadrants each with centre door set in shallow round-headed

recess flanked by blind Roman-Doric screen; corniced wallhead

with paired urns.

NE garden front; simplified pedimented elevation with swagged

coat of arms; tympanum linked to outer pavilions by single

storey quadrants, each with entrance as at SW flanked by

niches each housing full-size classical statue. Pavilions

each with simple centre Venetian window (blind side lights).

Multi-pane sash and case windows; piended slate roofs;

platformed roofs to pavilions; brick screen walls extend

from pavilions masking inner service courts, with ashlar

long-short rusticated arches.

Interior; ornate interior with Adamesque decoration.

Entrance lobby with arched columned screen leading to

barrel vaulted cross-passage.

Drawing room with carved marble Adamesque chimneypiece,

panelled doors with corniced and decorated doorpieces,

decorated plaster cornice, ceiling and mural roundels of

classical scenes suspended from swags.

Dining room; engaged columns with decorative necking and

composite capitals frame buffet recess; doorcases and

chimneypiece similar to drawing room. Cross-passage leads to

long curved staircase.

Gate piers; circa 1788, pair square rusticated polished

ashlar gate-piers with corniced and shaped caps supporting

lead urns.

Gardeners' bothy; circa 1788; simple brick 2-storey,

3-bay brick dwelling, polished ashlar dressings and

rusticated quoins. Steps to loft at S gable. Centre door; low

loft windows in outer bays only; pair ground floor windows

in rear (W) elevation with centre occulus in 1st floor.

Coped end stacks; slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Probably built for Arthur Forbes, 7th of Culloden,

incorporating fragments of earlier mansion at basement level.

Four statues in NE elevation niches represent Zenohia,

Odenatus, Cato and Scipio.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiv (1835), p.16. John G Dunbar, THE

HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1966), p.118, pl.72.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULLODEN HOUSE, GATE PIERS AND GARDENERS' BOTHY.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2021 18:51