Circa 1740, 2-storey symmetrical SE facing 5-bay house with
extensive additions and alterations by William Robertson,
Elgin, 1839 re-casting dwelling SE/NE as asymmetrical
Italianate mansion. Further late 19th century addition at NW
in similar Italianate style. Mainly harled but coursed rubble
and polished ashlar to SW garden front; polished and tooled
ashlar dressings and margins.
Earlier house, SE front with paired outer bays; long ground
floor windows (probably lengthened); 2-window return gables
(blocked fenestration at SW); dormers (1839); piended
1839 additions clasp rear of earlier mansion; square 2-
storey Italianate tower at NE fronted by porte-cochere
masking entrance; armorial panel in 1st floor; pair carved
ashlar urns to balustrade of porte-cochere. Further taller
Italianate tower centrally placed on rear of garden front
with triple round-headed narrow windows and shallow pyramidal
roof. Extensive and varied ranges extend N of entrance with
varied fenestration, some windows set in shallow round-
headed recesses SW garden front; 1839 3 wide bays with
recessed ashlar centre bay and outer gabled bays, each bay
with 3 closely set windows. Balcony links outer bays with
delicately carved ashlar bracketted balustrade with stylished
foliage. Long centre windows (with blind boxes) open to
terrace. Extension to NW in same style of late 19th century
Varied glazing, mainly 12-pane or lying-pane, some margined
to garden front. Shallow piended slate roofs extending over
deep, blocked eaves.
Interior; early portion of house retains circa 1740 plaster
ceiling, chimney piece and panelling in former drawing room.
Original dining room re-decorated and re-fitted with chimney
piece all circa 1780.
SW front of 1839 contains library, drawing room and dining
rooms, all with marble chimney pieces, some with coloured
marble inlay, and plaster ceiling cornices.