Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LATHERON FORMER SCHOOLHOUSE, SCHOOL AND WALLSLB7928

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/11/1984
Supplementary Information Updated
29/05/2020
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Latheron
NGR
ND 19965 33582
Coordinates
319965, 933582

Description

Latheron School comprises an 1821 two-storey, three bay schoolhouse and a later 19th century, slightly advanced single-storey, four-bay classroom attached to the west gable of the schoolhouse. The school was extended around 1878. Rubble with tooled ashlar dressings, slate roofs.

The schoolhouse has a central entrance opening with a timber lean-to porch, added in the 20th century. The schoolhouse has replacement windows, predominantly 12-pane glazing throughout and and coped end chimneystacks.The school has four large windows in south elevation and a single segmental headed window in the centre of west gable. Predominantly lying-pane glazing. Stone finial on west gable and wallhead chimneystacks.

Roughly coped dry stone walls surround the school and schoolhouse with two pairs of square gatepiers on the south wall. There is a wall dividing the south frontage.

Statement of Special Interest

Latheron School is a good, representative example of its building type for its date. The exterior form of Latheron School continues to clearly show the historic function of the building as a pre-1872 Education Act parish school with an attached schoolhouse. Externally it has not been significantly altered since the late 19th century, when the classroom accommodation was extended, directly showing the impact the 1872 Education Act had on school provision in this area.

The schoolhouse may have been designed by William Davidson or Mr Alexander of Golspie, and dates from 1821. The classroom was built after the schoolhouse and by 1871 (as it is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map).

The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1871 shows the front wall of the rectangular-plan classroom was previously flush with the front wall of the schoolhouse. A newspaper article from July 1878 confirms that the classroom was extended to the south and an additional classroom was added at the rear. These changes can be seen in the footprint of the building on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (revised 1905). In the late 19th century changes to a school to increase its accommodation are not unusual, particularly after the 1872 Education (Scotland) Act, when education was compulsory and pupil numbers increased.

Listed building record updated in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 95070.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1871, published 1873) Caithness XXXIX.3 (Latheron). 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1905, published 1906) Caithness XXXIX.3 (Latheron). 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Gifford, J. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland: Highlands and Islands. London: Penguin Group, p.122.

John o' Groat Journal (18 July 1878) Schoolhouses, &c., in the District, p.6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LATHERON FORMER SCHOOLHOUSE, SCHOOL AND WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/12/2022 10:24