Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FOULIS CASTLELB7911

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Kiltearn
NGR
NH 58931 64107
Coordinates
258931, 864107

Description

Dated 1754, 1777 and 1792, but incorporating parts of earlier

buildings in the NE and SE ranges. Now forms E-plan mansion,

harled with ashlar dressings and extensive use of ashlar

sandstone margins, the facade regularised to give symmetrical

SE, NE & SW elevations, the NW Frontage still retains

elements of previous building and is not symmetrical.

NW E-plan elevation; projecting central 4-storey over

basement, wide canted tower turning to elongated octagon

above main roof; centre ground floor pedimented entrance

with moulded lugged architraves, approached by flight steps

over-sailing basement with decorative cast-iron balustrade;

margined windows with bracketted cill-in all floors in 3

canted bays; dated 1754 over 3rd floor central window;

piended slate roof terminating with gilded ball finials;

look-out platform to SE. Tower flanked by lower bays (with

some blocked fenestration) and projecting 3-bay wings of

unequal width.

NW elevation forms SE side of large service courtyard with

low 2-storey ranges of offices, bakehouse, etc., on SW and NE,

including 2 matching pavilions with vaulted ground floors

with arched entrances and forestairs, that to left with 1

(possibly 2) gun loops and small barred window; round-

headed archways in east and west (west dated 1792); pair

blind octagonal occuli in north face of courtyard wall

flanking round-headed main entrance with channelled ashlar

surround and moulded imposts, probably of 1790 date. SW

elevation; long 2-storey and dormerless attic over raised

basement, 11-bay facade with slightly advanced and

pedimented centre 3 bays not aligned on rear tower; full

height canted bays at east and west gables with piended

roofs, centre corniced entrance approached by perron with

basement door below with Gibbs surround; original decorative

cast-iron balustrade with pair cast-iron lamp standards

(imported from Edinburgh circa 1970) and similar lamp

projected on brackets above doorway. Moulded cornice to

pediment with centre coat of arms and 1777 datestone; 3

decorative terminal stone urns.

Multi-pane glazing throughout, some with thick mid-18th

century astragals band and cill courses; moulded skews and

eaves cornice; margined end and ridge stacks; piended slate

roofs; gilded ridge ball finials.

Interior: elegant cantilevered staircase with turned wood

balusters and broken strings (the surviving roll-moulded

detail suggests that the treads were re-used from a previous

stair); stone newel stair in NE wing (possible from earlier

castle).

Public rooms; dining room with simple cornice, probably

reappointed at end of 18th century when canted bay added roll

moulded surround to fireplace and good cast-iron grate (circa

1800) with Munro motto "Dread God".

Large drawing room late 18th century 1-1/2 storeys high,

fluted frieze with rosettes, symmetrically placed doors and

cupboards; original chimney piece removed. 1st floor rooms

mainly raised and fielded panelling of mid-18th century date.

The house contains many good cast-iron grates, circa 1800 and

2 free standing ornamental cast-iron stoves, 1 dated 1786,

Cooper and Sons (still working). The basement contains

kitchen with many fittings, possibly late 18th/early 19th

century. Part of SW basement now Clan Museum, the wattle and

daub partition construction displayed.

Statement of Special Interest

Built on site of earlier castle destroyed by fire in mid 18th

century Seat of Clan Munro. Tower in middle of north

elevation resembles that at Poyntzfield (Resolis, Black

Isle), also a Munro house.

References

Bibliography

Sir George Steuart Mackenzie, A GENERAL VIEW OF THE

AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTIES ROSS & CROMARTY (1810) p.69. Ian

R M Mowat EASTER ROSS, 1750-1850, THE DOUBLE FRONTIER (1981),

p.90. National Monument Record of Scotland

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FOULIS CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 08:59