Dated 1738 Restorations and additions. A Maitland and Sons,
1904. Double pile, 2-storey and attic, 6-bay original house
with similar height extension to west. All harled with ashlar
margins. Original house; slightly projecting 2 centre bays,
gabled with centre door in 1st floor (piano nobile)
approached by T-shaped flight of steps, moulded, lugged and
corniced architrave, diagonally panelled 1904 door. Tall segmental-headed 1st floor windows; 2 large symmetrical
windows in crowstepped gable; 4 swept (1904) dormers; apex
chimney. Small ground floor windows. Rear; little altered
rear to old house; gabled centre 2 bays, crowstepped and with
apex stack; long 1st floor windows single gable attic window
(1 blocked); 4 (1904) swept dormers.
1904 wing; 2-storey and attic west wing, asymmetrical facade
with large (right) bowed bay rising full height, with 3
segmental-headed windows in 1st floor, with band course,
cornice and parapet. To left (west) gabled bay with paired
segmental headed bipartites in 1st floor and similar, smaller flat-headed bipartites in attic. 2 swept (1904) dormers.
Rear; asymmetrical fenestration; 2 dormers as in front.
18- and 12-pane glazing in 1st floor, 9-pane in ground floor;
chamfered window margins; moulded eaves cornice; ridge and
end stacks, those on new wing copied from originals, in
ashlar with moulded cope and simple string course; slate
Interior; parlour to SW retains original 1738 panelling,
lugged chimney piece, lugged doorcases and panelled doors.
Early panelling in 1 rear room with timber ceiling with
geometric moulded panels. Continuous passage runs the length
of house, from east to west (including new wing) at ground
and 1st floor. Original staircase removed, and replaced in
1904, the centre and left front rooms of original range now
as one, accommodating new staircase and extended entrance
Walled garden; large rubble walled garden to rear of house;
dressed stone cope.
Statement of Special Interest
Western 2 bays of 1904 wing now separate dwelling named
WESTERDALE The through internal passages (see description)
are now closed where they link Westerdale and Flowerdale.
House dated at east gable skewputt, the figures 17 on SE
skewputts, and 38 and initial AM at NE and IM at NW.
Flowerdale the seat of the Mackenzies of Gairloch, and
described as Tigh Dige by Osgood Mackenzie in his A HUNDRED
YEARS IN THE HIGHLANDS (1921). Segmental headed detailing to
front windows of original house probably 1904 alterations.
Small earlier 19th century ice house for salmon fishing in
hillside close to entrance drive.