Former Wardlaw Parish church of which only rectangular burial
aisle at west of 1634 survives, with belfry dated 1722.
1634 rectangular burial aisle, possibly incorporating earlier
core; harled rubble with ashlar dressings. 3-bay south
elevation with 1722 belfry at east apex; square headed door
with moulded jambs at; 2 long round-headed windows with
similarly moulded jambs, panelled wooden shutters with long
blacksmith hinges extending across shutters as locking bars.
Forestair at east gable leading to mural wheel stair serving
bellcote tower; small square base with square headed windows
in each face (except west) and small decorative stumpy
bartizans at each angle, each bartizan corbelled out with
decorative moulding ashlar conical caps and diminutive apex
ball finials. Circular belfry stage with 4 square headed
windows immediately below eaves cornice off-set to window below;
conical roof with 4 diminutive dated lucarnes, double ball
finial and copper weathercock. Strapwork buckle margins at SE
and NE angles; moulded eaves cornice north and south; flat skews terminating in swept skewputts; slate roof.
Interior shallow raised dais at east with carved ashlar
balustrade incorporating Lovat coat of arms; Corninthian
columned and pedimented mural memorial plaque; further
plaques in moulded surrounds to either side. Plaques in north
and south wall recording burial vaults of Frasers of Reelig
and Belladrum. Shallow mural recess in north wall housing
2 early carved fragments. Trapdoor entrance to Lovat (Fraser
of Beaufort) burial vault immediately in front of
balustrade; steps lead to vault containing various 18th
and early 19th century lead coffins. Stone tiled floor in
poor condition. (1984) Burial ground; line of former
church extends to west of burial aisle defined by footings
and with (re-sited?) jambs of entrance door leading to one
of the burial enclosures.
Large burial ground enclosed by roughly coped rubble wall,
heightened in part at south. Round-headed entrance with
moulded jambs under corniced blocking course. Spearhead
cast-iron pedestrian gate.
Statement of Special Interest
Maryhill or Kirkhill the site of the former Wardlaw Parish
Church. Kirkhill parish consits of the united parishes of
Wardlaw and Farnua (see entry for Kirkton). Lovat Burial
aisle served the Lovats of Beaufort until the RC Church of St
Mary's Eskadale was built in 1826, where they now have a
burial ground. Pedimented murla memorial to Thomas Lord
Fraser of Lovat erected by his son Simon. The 3 Fraser
ministers of Kirkhill buried closed together were Rev
Alexander Fraser (1749-1802), Rev. Donald (1783-1836) and
Rev. Alexander (d.1883, "care out" at Disruption),
Grandfather, father and son.