Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LOCHDHU LODGELB7802

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/11/1984
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Halkirk
NGR
ND 1119 44205
Coordinates
301119, 944205

Description

1895. Possibly Donald Leed, architect, Thurso. 2-storey

asymmetrical gabled shooting lodge with Baronial detailing.

Coursed rubble, contrasting polished ashlar dressings.

Main elevations to south (with pronounced battered plinth)

and west. South elevation with off-centre entrance into

gabled and advanced bay; projecting window at SE angle with

heavy cable-moulded centre mullion supporting corbelled 1st

floor angle bartizan with blind cruciform slit, corbelled

upper course and conical roof with cast-iron weather-vane.

4-storey octagonal tower at SW angle, housing staircase in 1st

and 2nd floors, large windows in 5 sides to 3 lower storeys;

corbelled upper storey of tower, with gabletted windows and

facetted conical roof outlined with cast-iron thistle cresting.

Windows in main elevations have cable-moulded carved detailing

to architraves; some windows break wallhead in bargeboarded

gablets; 2-pane glazing. Corniced ridge and end stacks;

fish-scale slate roof in contrasting zig-zag bands; tiled

ridge. Some modern additions to lower rear service range.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by Sir Tollemache Sinclair of Ulbster.

Donald Leed, Architect and Clerk of Works to Ulbster Estates "superintended various lodges and houses". 13.3.1903.

Cable-moulded detailing very similar to that on Thurso Castle

(Sinclair of Ulbster of 1872-78.

Railway, which passes within a mile, established in 1873, and

would have provided transport for building materials.

References

Bibliography

CAITHNESS COURIER, 13 March, 1903. Obituary, Donald Leed.

THE TIMES, 3 August, 1983.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHDHU LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 20:37