Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

COCKPEN AND CARRINGTON PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING GATES, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALL AND LETTER BOXLB780

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/01/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
05/05/1999
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Cockpen
NGR
NT 31933 64195
Coordinates
331933, 664195

Description

Archibald Elliot, 1818-1820; refitted Peddie and Kinnear, 1886. Cruciform-plan, Tudor-Gothic cruciform-plan church with half-engaged square-plan tower. Tooled coursed yellow sandstone with droved dressings polished to margins. Base course; pointed segmental-arched, chamfered openings with hoodmoulds and carved label-stops; trefoil-headed traceried windows; moulded eaves course; gableted angle buttresses.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: Entrance Tower: 4-stage tower advanced to centre with dividing band courses, angle buttresses rise to form slim octagonal turrets. 1st Stage: pointed segmental-arched, roll-moulded doorway to centre with 2-leaf decorative panelled timber door with iron studs, tooled panel above reading "MDCCCXX". 2nd Stage: 2-light window to centre. 3rd Stage: 2-light window to centre of each elevation. 4th Stage: louvred tripartite openings to each elevation. Pierced fretted parapet on moulded eaves cornice.

Doorway to each flanking bay with 2-leaf panelled timber door.

SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; gabled transept advanced to penultimate bay to right, 4-light window to centre, right return blank, curved stair tower to re-entrant angle to left; window to penultimate bay to left and bay to outer left; bay to outer right blank.

NE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3-bay. Gabled chancel advanced to centre bay with 4-light window to centre; lean-to to ground floor with boarded timber opening off-centre to left, boarded timber door with 2-pane fanlight to right return; brick flue flanking angle buttress to left; stone crucifix to apex. Recessed bays to left and right blank.

NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; gabled transept advanced to penultimate bay to left, 4-light window to centre, left return blank, curved stair tower to re-entrant angle to right; window to penultimate bay to right and bay to outer right; bay to outer left blank.

Diamond-pane windows with stained glass borders. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: predominantly refitted by Peddie and Kinnear in 1886. Porch with tiled floor and ribbed ceiling; T-plan stair to gallery at centre with turned timber balusters to 1st flight, flanked to left and right by gothic panelled timber doors. Simple timber pews with cast-iron and brass umbrella stands; gallery supported by cast-iron columns to NW, SW and SE with original gothic timber fronts; original timber pulpit incorporated into 1886 organ to centre of chancel; ribbed plaster vaulted ceiling rising from 4 corner shafts, with foliate plasterwork at intersections and plaster masks at terminations.

GATES, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND LETTER BOX: decorative cast-iron 2-leaf gate flanked by 2 pedestrian gates; 4 stugged pink sandstone gatepiers with stop-chamfered angles and corniced caps. Rubble boundary wall with bull-faced and semicircular coping. Victorian wall letter box Type "C" to left of SE wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Cockpen Parish church was commissioned by the Earl of Dalhousie to replace the 12th century church (see separate listing) to the SE which was too small. The 1680 bell from the old church was taken to the new one. The design for the church tower was altered in the early stages so that it could be seen from both Dalhousie Castle and Arniston House. The builder and mason was John Dickson. It has been suggested that the architects of the church were R and R Dickson, however a contract in the SRO between the heritors and John Dickson the builder highlights Archibald Elliot as the architect. R and R Dickson were clearly influenced by the design, producing an identical church at Kilconquhar in Fife only 2 years later.

References

Bibliography

SRO, CONTRACT FOR THE BUILDING OF COCKPEN PARISH CHURCH, (1818), HR 333/6; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p608-610; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1885), Vol 1, p275; A Fraser, AFOOT IN MIDLOTHIAN, (1955), p18; A Fraser, MIDLOTHIAN: A BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE HISTORY OF THE DISTRICT, (1955), p38-39; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p141; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p88; NMRS Photographs.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COCKPEN AND CARRINGTON PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING GATES, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALL AND LETTER BOX

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 04:51