Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 39503 66419
339503, 666419


Robert Mitchell, circa 1795. Classical octagonal-plan temple with bell-roofed tempietto surmounting. Heavy rusticated base course. Dressed sandstone ashlar exterior; random sandstone and red brick interior.

ALL ELEVATIONS: central archway with plain wrought-iron railings (gate to entrance), plain plaque above; sloping sides flanking with blind rectangular window to ground floor, smaller blind window above; projecting corbelled course leading to low parapet; partially concealed roof above with platformed centre. Tempietto surmounting, comprising 8 sandstone Tuscan columns supporting ornate moulded frieze with corbelled cornice, lead cupola with metal finial surmounting.

Blind windows. Timber roof structure with bell-cast lead roof to main temple and lead dome on tempietto; red brick dome to interior of temple.

INTERIOR: plain stone and brick work; flagged floor.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A-Group with Preston Hall, Stables, Gazebos and Lion's Gate. Robert Mitchell, who also designed the estate buildings, designed the temple. It was intended to be a mausoleum for the Hall's first owner (Alexander Callander, an Indian nabob) but was never used for this purpose. He died even before the main house could be finished. His brother (Sir John Callander) had the outstanding building work finished off, and it was he who put the final touches to the temple. He had the tempietto brought from Preston Hall's south gardens to adorn the top of the monument. Sited N of the main house, it is found at the end of a tree-lined vista, surrounded by a timber fence with wrought-iron railings in each entrance.



NMRS for James Knox, MAP OF THE SHIRE OF EDINBURGH (1812) showing Prestonhall. Thomas Carfrae, PLAN OF THE LANDS OF FORD WITH PORTIONS OF PRESTONHALL AND CRICHTON (1842, Edinburgh) lithographed estate plan showing layout of the parks and gardens, Scottish Record Office - Register House Plan 269. Rev J Dickson, CRANSTOUN: A PARISH HISTORY (1907) p137. C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) p397. J Thomas MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p107.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRESTON HALL POLICIES, THE TEMPLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 05:54