Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 44909 64417
344909, 664417


Substantial 3-storey mansion composed of several

different phases of building, resulting in a long,

irregular plan. Tower to E end, 1589, largely altered;

sizable early 19th century additions to W, closing in

2-storey service block; further alterations and

additions to N, Charles G Kinnear of Kinnear and Peddie,

1889. Harled red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings,

rounded and chamfered arrises.

TOWER: gabled N-S block with 4-storey gabled corner

tower at SE. Irregular and altered openings. Door at

foot of corner tower. Corbelled turret in re-entrant

angle to S. Wallhead and gablehead stacks.

EARLY 19TH CENTURY BLOCK: wing of 9 3-storey bays

adjoined to W elevation of tower. Near-regular

fenestration to S elevation with forestair added and

door to penultimate bay to right in principal floor.

SERVICE BLOCK: adjoined to W end, 2-storey with jettied

parapet to N and variety of lean-to additions to outer

W; gabled dormerheads to 1st floor windows breaking

eaves to S.

1889 ADDITIONS: C G Kinnear. Advanced gabled bay to

centre of 3-storey bays on N elevation; doorway at foot

with roll-moulded surround and heavily corbelled

cornice; bipartite at 1st floor and corbelled gablehead

above. Round tower set in re-entrant angle to left of

centre; advanced 2-storey bay to left, linking with

tower, and with balustrade. Corbelled square bartizan

added to NE angle, and circular bartizan to NW angle.

Windows enlarged. 17th century armorial inserted on S

elevation of tower, transferred in 1893 from Rubislaw,


Variety of glazing patterns to sash and case windows.

Grey-green slates. Ashlar coping to later skews,

crowsteps to entrance jamb; some stone finials. Harled

gable wallhead and ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor to tower; early 18th

century panelling; painted ceiling to bedroom in NE wing

at 2nd floor; other fine decoration retained. Gothick

chimneypiece to entrance hall, Kinnear; early 19th

century marble chimneypiece to Dining Room, and beam

and penchant ceiling, Kinnear.

GARDEN WALL AND GATEPIERS: harled rubble wall adjoined

to E of house; pedestrian gateway with short flight of

steps and decorative cast-iron balustrade. Square droved

ashlar entrance piers with decorative timber "saloon"


Statement of Special Interest

Currently undergoing subdivision, Ben Tindall, architect

(1989). Tower built by George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal

of Scotland who acted as mediator for the marriage of

James VI and Anne of Denmark. Various material on the

foundation of the house and the ruinous former parish

church to N, circa 1200 (Scheduled Monument), can be


local histories. Keith Marischal North and South Lodges

are listed separately, as is the home farm, Keith

Marischal Steading. Gardens to the south of the house

were evidently once formally landscaped.



RCAHMS INVENTORY no 83. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p269.

SRO RHP 68571 (1801), RHP 35637 (1843) and RHP 35638


About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KEITH MARISCHAL HOUSE WITH GARDEN WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/03/2024 02:35