Possibly Alexander Stevens, Edinburgh, circa 1801.
Quadrangular-plan steading with classical N range and
entrance arch; octagonal dovecot set in centre of
courtyard. Red sandstone rubble with cream ashlar,
broadly droved dressings.
N RANGE: symmetrical 14 bays to exterior elevation, with
cornice and blocking course, arranged 2-2-5-2-2, the
outer pair each side single storey, remaining bays
2-storey with granary windows to upper level, and 5 bays
at centre advanced; round-arched door at centre with
fanlight, and with windows flanking each side; 2
recessed, 2-storey bays flanking again with shallow
depressed carriage arches. Paired outer bays with doors
blocked as windows. 5 centre bays gabled, those
flanking with piend roofs to both single and 2-storey
bays. Courtyard elevation symmetrical with 2-stage
canted turret projecting at centre covering pend and
with hayloft door above; 2 recessed, 2-storey bays
flanking, with round-arched doorways by centre,
intercepted by lean-to later additions in-filling at
ground; advanced outer bays abutted by in-fill, each
with window and piend roof adjoined to gabled cross
walls of 5 centre bays.
S RANGE AND ARCH: 2-storey piend-roofed plain block of
cottages, with 1st floor windows breaking eaves in
flat-roofed dormerheads; cement rendering and mullions
to enlarged windows on exterior; formerly 3 cottages,
with 1 doorway blocked, 1 blocked as window; cement
rendered stacks. Tall carriage archway to left, abutting
W range, comprised of ashlar piers, rounded ashlar
overthrow with impost at eaves level, and ashlar coped;
stone, corniced bellcote above, capped by stone hemi-
sphere; bell in situ. Pedestrian gateway to left by W
E RANGE: symmetrical 8-bay cartshed, following incline;
exterior elevation with blocked depressed cart arch and
2 doorways; courtyard elevation with 5 shallow depressed
cart arches, 1 currently blocked, and with doors in
outer bays. Steeply pitched roof with stack to N gable
end. Irregular, lower bays to N end of range, recessed
on the exterior elevation.
W RANGE: substantially altered to centre and S for
Grey-green slates to cottages, 2-storey piends of N
range; purple slates to exterior pitch of cartshed;
corrugated asbestos to remaining ranges, except for
centre bays of N range, currently unroofed.
SHEEP PEN: ashlar coped walls to rectangular enclosure
set within courtyard, partially breached, and with
2 ashlar gatepiers to S, ashlar coped with hemi-
spherical caps, sited where pend abuts dovecot; timber
gates and fences dividing channels, leading to iron gate
with bar and lever for securing sheep.
DOVECOT: possibly Alexander Stevens, circa 1801.
Octagonal 3-stage dovecot; red sandstone rubble with
broadly droved cream ashlar dressings and cornice.
Round-arched doorway to W with opening in 2nd stage
above; further opening to 3rd stage to S. Octagonal
piended roof with timber classical octagonal lantern and
timber cupola at apex; timber columns to lantern and
round arched flight-holes.