Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

OXENFOORD VIADUCTLB769

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/01/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
26/02/2003
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Cranston
NGR
NT 38822 65580
Coordinates
338822, 665580

Description

Robert Adam and Alexander Stevens, circa 1783. Castellated bridge comprising 3 semi-circular arches. Polished sandstone ashlar block work and coping.

NE ANS SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: higher central arch on piers, smaller arch flanking: rusticated ashlar voussoirs and abutments, impost course; projecting crenellated parapet on dentil course; projecting pilaster abutments flanking; blank curved wing walls: parapet course leading to plain parapet with splayed coping and polygonal terminals.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A Group with Oxenfoord Castle and Lodges. Carries the drive to the castle over a steep ravine. Sir John Dalrymple felt a bridge would benfit the park's romantic sensabilties, and had written to the poet William Shenstone in 1760 about this idea. Later, Alexander Stevens, a well-known bridge builder, submitted plans and an estimate of £180 1s 2d in April 1782. The proposed plan was for a bridge with a plain parapet and a higher central span, although this was never realised. A revised plan was submitted in 1783, and is stylistically similar to the work Robert Adam had carried out on the main house. Adam and Stevens had worked together previously on Ayr Bridge.

References

Bibliography

Sir John Dalrymple ESSAY ON LANDSCAPE GARDENING (1760) references to Oxenfoord needing a bridge. Hew Dalrymple ACCOUNT OF OXENFOORD CASTLE (1901). Rev Dickson CRANSTON: A PARISH HISTORY (1907) p144. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p376. J Thomas MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p106.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OXENFOORD VIADUCT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/10/2019 04:53