Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

KILBIRNIE AULD KIRK AND CEMETERY WALLSLB7492

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 02/12/1980

Location

  • Local Authority: North Ayrshire
  • Planning Authority: North Ayrshire
  • Parish: Kilbirnie

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NS 31473 53647
  • Coordinates: 231473, 653647

Description

Complicated building history from 1470 to 20th century. 1470

rectangular nave forms core of church, built in coursed

rubble with ashlar dressings; 2-stage tower, with set-off,

added at west in 1490. Nave and tower both with later

saw-tooth skews; birdcage bellcote at apex of tower gable,

possibly mid 18th century, has similarly detailed pyramidal

roof. All other extensions have crowstepped gables. 1597

south-east aisle built for Sir John Cunninghame of

Glengarnock castle; later, heavily moulded mullioned and

transomed window with crest in panel above. 1642 Crawford

aisle added at the north east, has paired lancet window to

gallery. To the east of the Crawford aisle a transept and

entrance were added in 1903-5, Charles S.S. Johnson of

Edinburgh, architect.

Low door at left. Shallow advanced gable to east, tripartite

with raised central light to gallery, the latter with

mouldings imitating the Cunninghame aisle window. At east,

small drum stairtower with projecting entrance and a window

breaking through the moulded eaves.

1910 organ chamber, Charles S.S. Johnson architect, added to

north west of Cunninghame aisle, continuing the details of

that aisle. Slate roofs throughout.

Interior: Crawford gallery circa 1705 for 1st Viscount

Garnock. Laird's loft with elaborate Renaissance detailing;

gallery supported on Roman Doric columns. Bowed gallery front

with paired Corinthian engaged columns dividing blind arcade;

elaborate coats of arms depicting the family lineage under

each arch; Corinthian columned screen divides gallery, bold

box cornice with highly decorative modillion cornice. Canopy

supported on giant Corinthian columns. Pulpit mainly 18th

century, incorporating earlier details, panelled pine; with

reading desk supported on brackets, with carved faces;

baptismal basin with wrought-iron bracket; panelled rear

screen with 2 Ionic pilasters supporting entablature

surmounted by Crawford and Lindsay arms in foliated design.

Above, large oak, pedimented sounding board, probably 17th

century, with carved angel, cherubs, foliage, thistle and

rose. Ladyland pew, part oak part pine, with delicate

balustrade incorporates late 17th and early 18th century

carving; bracketted hood with ealborate scrolls and pediment

with acroterion. 1903-5 balcony, linking Crawford gallery to

south wall and inserted when seating was re-organised, is

fronted with trades and crafts panels in style similar to

gallery.

Rubble-built Cemetery walls enclose some early tombstones and

the rectangular Crawford tomb of 1594 which houses recumbant

effigies of Thomas Crawford of Jordanhill and his wife Janet

Ker of Kersland.

Statement of Special Interest

In ecclesiastical use.

References

Bibliography

G. Hay, "Architecture of Scottish Post Reformation churches"

1957 pp 30, 187, 189, 193, 197, 198, 216.

MacGibbon and Ross, "C. & D. Architecture" vol v pp 200-201

1887-92. SRO Heritors Records HR 690/2

690/3

690/4

Pont "Cunninghame" 1876 p.233-244 (Illus p.240, 241 & opp.

p.242)

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 23/07/2016 22:09