Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 24667 62616
324667, 662616


Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1883; saddle-back tower, same architect, 1887, in angle between nave and chancel. E -W orientation, with N transept and S aisle. Stugged sandstone with paler ashlar dressings.

E ELEVATION: adjoining chancel gable with 5-light lancet window, central light taller and cusped tracery over geometric side lights, stone ringed cross on gable.

TOWER (houses vestry): hoodmoulded doorway; slit-lights in 2 stages above; paired hoodmoulded louvred belfry openings to front and back of 3rd stage, single hoodmoulded louvred opening to each return; stepped triple lancet to front and back in steep gable; tall chimneystack on N elevation, modern skylight behind.

S ELEVATION: (aisle) 3-bay triple lancet windows, buttresses between, to left return single lancet.

W ELEVATION: pentagonal apse with pair of hoodmoulded double lancet windows, plate tracery above; to left bottom hoodmoulded double lancet window. Gothic niche for bell in gablehead; stone cross above.

N ELEVATION: hoodmoulded doorway, inset plaque above; small trefoil topped double window, to left large gothic 3 light window with multifoil light above; double gabled transept: to right return hoodmoulded double lancet, blind wall to left return.

Rosemary-tiled roof; cast iron rainwater goods

INTERIOR: Triple N arcade, double S arcade opening into aisle, large SW window lights back of church and W gallery. Communion table in chancel, pulpit to one side. Font from Old Kirk. Stained glass windows: N; 1895, Moore of London (Christ blessing the children); 1918, Douglas Strachan (St Patrick contemplating a ruined castle).

Statement of Special Interest

Pioneering Ecclesiological arrangement for the Church of Scotland. Built as a replacement for the Glencorse Old Kirk (listed separately) which had become too small for the new congregation due to the increased numbers of troops at Glencorse Barracks. Robert Trotter, from Bush House, donated ?400 toward the new building, and gave the church a field at New Milton Farm to use as a cemetery (NT 2555 6314). The font was found in the floor of the Old Kirk during renovations in 1811 and is thought to have originally come from the Chapel of St Katherine, which was flooded during the creation of the Glencorse Reservoir. The small outside gates are said to be made from the wrought-iron brackets of the original oil lamps. Now lit by modern exterior lighting. Glencorse War memorial (listed separately) stands to right, and a cup and ring marked stone is outside the church.



Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments in Scotland INVENTORY OF MIDLOTHIAN (1927); C MacWilliam, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN (1978) p219; S McKinstry ROWAND ANDERSON - THE PREMIER ARCHITECT IN SCOTLAND (1991) pp103-104; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p63.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENCORSE PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 04:48