Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALBEGNO CASTLELB6754

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
18/08/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Fettercairn
NGR
NO 63938 72989
Coordinates
363938, 772989

Description

Dated "Ano 1569 IWOD and E IRVEIN". Harled with stone dressings at upper works. Unusual L-plan (orientated with external angle pointing S) with re-entrant tower filling whole depth of angle and carried a storey higher than the main jamb with angle round and elaborate figured window

detail. Main jamb 3 storeys and attic, wing same height but with mezzanine corresponding to area of vault; wing has corbelled parapet decorated with head medallions and angle rounds; simple main roof with crowstepped gables. Vaulted ground floor, wide circular stair to first floor, first floor hall, 29'6" x 19'6", rib vaulted in 2 compartments

with sculptured corbels and bosses, compartments being painted with armorial bearings (partially restored by Alfred P Nixon, Edinburgh 1900). NE wing of later 18th century date, 2 storey 3 window (1st and 2nd close-spaced 12 pane sashes. Single storey Venetian porch fills area

between re-entrant angle and 18th century wing.

Statement of Special Interest

An outstanding house of its period. This type is related Gight, Delgatie Craig and Towie Barclay, particularly the last whose hall is modelled in plan and dimensions on the Balbegno one Stewart Cruden has related the figure sculpture - which includes a dummy window (of Huntly with carved figure looking out - to those at Edzell. They will therefore be of very early 17th century date. The medallions are also related in type to

those at Craigston. MacGibbon & Ross considered the roof of the main jamb to be later, probably late 17th or early 18th century, but the same arrangement, admittedly reputed to be the work of repairs the very end of the 16th century, occurs at Delgates. 'A' group with items 4, 5, 6 and 7.

SAM 984: De-scheduled 22 March 2005.

References

Bibliography

NSA, vol xi p 116 MacGibbon & Ross "Castellated and Domestic Architecture", vol ii p 79-82; "Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland", vol xxxviii, p 166; M R Apted, "Painting in Scotland from the 14th to the 17th centuries" (Ph D thesis).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALBEGNO CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 09:03