Circa 1802-13, substantially rebuilt and enlarged circa 1823-9, top floors rebuilt following fire of 1848. Complete by 1855, 5-storey basement and attic 2-by 16-bay N extension. Single-storey brick-built addition to W circa 1900.
E ELEVATION: 20-bay, basement towards S with string course built 1790s or 1802-09 (cf. Bell Mill). Segmental arched opening at forst position of waterwheel with later blocked window at 6th bay from S. Waterwheels re-located to N in 1820s when mill enlarged, arched concreted when wheels made redundant in 1921. Header pond, iron sluice gate and rubble-built arch to culvert.
W ELEVATION: similar treatment of S basement, (tail-race culverted under end of Mid Mill). 3 N-lit sheds added at N (without breaking into the old wall), S-most bay with cotton store basement on site of wheelhouse. Gable at W toothed to receive extension of mill, unbuilt. Later 19th century lift tower, partly glazed, now harled and converted to foremen's buckies, beside later brick lift shaft.
N GABLE: 2-bay, recess to right for incomplete mill extension. Modern ground floor loading bay.
S GABLE: blind except 2 ground floor windows. Blocked doors to former stair towerat each level, removed when extension built with new stair. Modern lean-to addition at ground.
Gabled slate roof, piended at N. Windows sash and case, 16-pane glazing pattern, several altered.
INTERIOR: timber floors on a single central row of cylindrical cast-iron columns. Basement reinforced by 2 rows of cast-iron pipes. Jilkes turbine seatings (1879). Ground, 1st and 2nd floor cross-beams. 3rd floor cross-beams on timber pads to N 6 bays: longitudinal beam to S and in 4th floor (these probably rebuilt after 1848 fire). Plastered collar-beam roof. 4 bays to N: small side room with flagstone landings on lengthwise cast-iron beam and columns with decorative spandrels. Timber roofs to single-storey NW extension, columns replaced in steel.