Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CARRBRIDGE STATION INCLUDING PLATFORM SHELTERS AND FOOTBRIDGELB6636

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
21/10/1994
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Duthil And Rothiemurchus
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NH 89887 22475
Coordinates
289887, 822475

Description

Highland Railway, 1892. 2-platform through station with gabled, single-storey, timber and brick principal building on down platform.

W (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: central section recessed with awning infill supported on cast-iron columns and wooden brackets. Advanced gabled to right with slate-roofed canted-bay window; gable to left with later, timber signal cabin projection in similar style. End pavilions slightly advanced with gables to E (road) elevation. Windows irregularly spaced, three panes high with top hopper opening. Louvred ventilators in upper parts of rear gables. Open eaved roof with prominent rafter ends.

Timber framed windows. Grey slate to roof. Chimney stacks red and white brick, with stone copes: centre stack has octagonal cans. Stack at NW end rises from exposed brick chimney breast.

PLATFORM SHELTERS: single-pitch roofed, timber-clad shelter on up side and building in similar style on down platform.

FOOTBRIDGE: steel and cast-iron lattice-girder footbridge of standard Highland Railway type.

Statement of Special Interest

Carrbridge Station is the largest of the timber-clad station buildings built by the Highland Railway in the 1890s as part of their direct line to Inverness and one of only a small number that remain in operation (2013). The cast-iron columned, timber bracketed awning and polychromatic brick stacks are characteristic of Highland Railways station buildings of the period. The glazed outshot to the left gable originally housed signalling instruments and was added by the newly formed British Rail (Scottish Region) in around 1950 in a similar style to the timber-framed building.

List Description updated (2013).

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1903). Gordon Biddle and O.S Nock, The Railway Heritage of Britain (1983) p167.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARRBRIDGE STATION INCLUDING PLATFORM SHELTERS AND FOOTBRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/09/2022 06:36