Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALLENCRIEFF HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN AND WEST PAVILIONLB6529

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/09/1989
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Aberlady
NGR
NT 48801 78270
Coordinates
348801, 678270

Description

Shell of mansion burnt out in 1868 and thereafter abandoned. Built in more than one period, some walls now collapsed: added late 17th/early 18th century ranges, making a double-pile, rendered the north front symmetrical, a tripartite facade with recessed ends (the surviving left end gabled). Nucleus a comparatively long rectangular-plan tower which had a 1625 dormer head on exposed south face; 3 storeys including vaulted basement, openings more or less regularly disposed; kitchen fireplace gable asymmetrically placed on plan; south front extended by narrower but slightly taller wing to right hand (ie east), its gable skew-ended (gables of tower crow-stepped), formerly with 18th century Venetian window at 1st floor or which only soffit arch now survives. Rubble with ashlar dressings, including window and chimney margins and cornices; some brickwork. WALLED GARDEN: Extensive walled garden to W, also rubble and ashlar. WEST PAVILION: circa 1730 2-storey 4-bay, centre-doored pavilion survives; formerly a laundry, now (1989) a farmhouse. White harled, ashlar dressings, plate glass sashes, grey-slated and swept-eaved roof, centre ridge and 2 wall head stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

A stone noted nearby bears a date, probably 1596, possibly indicating work done at the tower at this date. Tower said to have been built by John Murray 1st Lord Elibank. Ballencrieff formerly "the most extensive barony in the parish" (OSA). The N entrance elevation comprised a 5-bay, advanced, corniced and pedimented centre with flanking gabled wings and 4-bay pavilions connected to main house by screen walls.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon & Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE, Vol IV pp378/9. RCAHM INVENTORY, pp4-5. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p89. OLD STATISTICAL Account, (1799) p548. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1837) Vol II p252. C Green EAST LOTHIAN (1907) p103. J Martine REMINISCENCES AND NOTICES OF FOURTEEN PARISHES IN THE COUNTY OF HADDINGTON (1890) p12. RCAHMS: PLANS FOR ADDITIONS TO BALLENCRIEFF HOUSE 1843 (copies). Adair's Map, East Lothian, 1688.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALLENCRIEFF HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN AND WEST PAVILION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 22:03