An imposing church on cruciform plan comprised of 15th century tower adjoining nave rebuilt in 1773, recast by William Young 1886. 2 burial aisles projecting to N incorporating 16th and 17th century masonry, mirrored by later transepts, these and additions to S and E by Young. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings.
TOWER: 15th century random rubble 3-stage tower projecting from gabled W end; ashlar string course above ground stage and corbelled ashlar coped parapet. Porches set in re-entrant angles and projecting to N and S (see below). Narrow window with iron bars to W. Arrow slit openings to 1st and 2nd stages; 2nd stage adapted as dovecot with flight holes to S arrow-slit. Louvred round arched columnar-mullioned bipartite at 3rd stage to each elevation. Slated pyramidal roof with weathervane. PORCHES: 1773; stone gabled porches with base courses and deeply chamfered pointed arch doorways, ribbed arches; quatrefoil windows on return. NAVE: adjoining to E, sensitively remodelled by Young in 1886. 2 gabled burial aisles projecting at centre dating from 16th and 17th centuries; eaves set lower than those of nave; crowstepped skews to right ausles; thistle and cross finials. 2-light windows of round arched lancets and vesica to earlier left aisle, repeated with pointed arches and transomed to right. Lancet windwos to outer returns. Single lancet flanking left aisle, 2 lancets flanking right.
E ELEVATION: remodelled in 1886 and incorporating large window in pointed arch, hood-moulded panel with simple plate tracery, probably 18th century; 3 lancets and 2 vesicas; gablet capped buttresses flanking. Session house projecting below, 1886; ashlar coped rubble base course, 2 ashlar pilasters enclosing recessed panel with 3 trefoil-headed windows, corbelled blocking course with cornice. Blank return to N, doorway to S. Lancet window flanking to right at ground. Coped skews culminating in cross finial between buttresses, skews crowstepped to outer sides. S ELEVATION: M-gabled aisles projecting at centre added by Young in 1886 mirroring N burial aisles in form and detail and with similar flanking lancets. Grey slates. Decorative gutter fixtures, gutterheads dated 1886; square downpipes retained. INTERIOR: remodelled by Young in 1886. Open timber roof, pointed arch arcade with crocketted capitals opening into aisles and transepts; diminutive, blind arcade around chancel enclosing fine stained glass windows. Stained glass windows follow a progressive scheme begun in 1880's, designed by Edward Frampton of London and James Ballantine of Edinburgh. On W wall monument, (possibly by Canova) to Maria Margaretta de Younge Lady Elibank, died 1762; fine relief sculpture in marble, angel with funerary urn within pedimented panel, memorial plaque below. Moved from chancel in 1960. In SE aisle, marble deathbed effigy by John Rhind, ornately carved base with contrasting marble column, to Louisa Billingham Countess of Wemyss, died 1882. Communion table by Scott Morton and Co, 1961. Font and pulpit of Caen stone. Replica cast of 8th century cross shaft fragment found in wall of earlier manse garden; original now in National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. Organ with Gothic case in S transept. GRAVEYARD with a number of good 18th century headstones and tabletops. 18th century mounting block outside churchyard to W of gates, listed separately.