Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NH 53601 56773
253601, 856773


Robert Macbeth of Ross & Macbeth, 1906-8 (1907 datestone) as the Seaforth Sanatorium. Little altered. Half-butterfly plan sanatorium with Scottish 17th century style details comprised of 2-storey, 3-bay administrati on block at centre with single storey ward wings. Kitchen and service block to rear and gate lodge. Harled with ashlar base course, band and cill courses, and quoin strips and margins to principal block and return elevations of wards. Timber mullions and transoms.


N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, taller centre bay advanced with ketstoned, segnental-arched doorway with decoratively half-glazed 2-leaf doors and ensuite fanlight. 1st floor window with ashlar pedimented memorial panel beaking eaves above; windows on returns at ground and 1st floor window breaking eaves in piended dormerhead and with narrow window close to re-entrant angle.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad, taller, canted bay at centre, regular fenestration, with armorial panel above 1st floor centre window supporting pedimented dormer ormanented with sculpted stone animals. 2 windows at ground in each outer bay, single 1st floor windows breaking eaves in ornate ashlar pedimented dormerheads. Tall corniced and ashlar dressed wallhead stacks with fireclay cans. Simple dormer windows to E a nd W, all dormers with oculi on flanks.

WARDS, N ELEVATION: each with bipartite windows. Single storey, rectangular plan, gambrel roofed, 3-bay, sanitary annexe adjoined at centre. S ELEVATION: each with linking bay flanking main block, outer bays with 2-leaf, part glazed doors. 2 windows to each return.

Plate glass sash and case windows predominating, some casements. Grey slate piended roofs with sweeping eaves.

SERVICE BLOCK: sited opposite entrance to main building. Single storey T-plan, materials and details as above. Taller main block with lower flanking wings, pedimented dormerheads to return elevations.

PORTER'S LODGE: is presumably part of original concept; single storey and attic, 3 bays, jerkin roofed (slated) and symmetrical; 2-leaf boarded centre doorr with roundels, open timber porch; small-paned glazing - sashes at ground floor (tripartites), casements in piended (bipartite) dormers. Harled, ashlar margins; end stacks; decorative ridging.

Statement of Special Interest

Built on the butterfly plan to maximise sunshine, with French windows giving access outside. It was built for the treatment of TB patients from the counties of Ross and Cromarty, and was provided with a rich endowment and funds for building and equipment by Colonel Stewart Mackenzie of Seaforth and his wife Mary Margaret. The picturesque central section of two storeys has elaborate armorials of the Stewart Mackenzies carved on the dormerheads.



THE BUILDER, xci, p660, xciv, p98.

THE INVERNESS COURIER, 11.9.1906; ad, for tenders.


About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MARYBURGH, FORMER SEAFORTH SANATORIUM AND LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 06:50