Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Crathie And Braemar
National Park
NO 26628 93837
326628, 793837


1845 with some later 19th and 20th century alterations. Group of distinctive buildings forming purpose-built distillery, with Manager's house to NE; internally modernised but still retaining many fine original features. Coursed grey granite rubble. 4-storey double pile former maltings building (now warehouse) with regularly spaced small shuttered or hoist door openings. U-plan steading (now visitors' centre) with 7 former cart arches to E, between advanced blank gable ends, N and S, and now with boarded 2-leaf timber leaf doors. Pyramid roofed mash house. Complex of single story office buildings to N, including 3-bay cottage. Tall brick chimney to S.

Variety of fenestration, but predominantly timber surrounds. Grey slate roofs. Some gable stacks. Brown painted iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: extensively modernised interiors throughout, but still retaining an old, open top mash tun with rakes, and rows of iron columns in former maltings.

MANAGER'S HOUSE: 2-storey, 3-bay house with timber gabled porch. Coursed grey and pink granite. Timber sash and case windows, 2 gable stacks and purple slates. White-painted rainwater goods.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey outhouse. Granite rubble with 8-pane timber casement window and timber door.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of a group of mid 19th century distillery buildings still in use. The distillery has been in operation since its inception in 1845, and although it has undergone various changes since then, some of the original buildings and features are still intact. John Begg was granted a lease to build the distillery in 1845, after a previous distillery on this site burnt down in 1841. It was visited by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1848, after which Mr Begg received a Royal Warrant and the brand name was changed to Royal Lochnagar. Substantial but sensitive alterations were accomplished in the late 20th century to accommodate visitors and to allow for modern distilling practices.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1866). Other information courtesy of Distillery staff (2005).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROYAL LOCHNAGAR DISTILLERY, FORMER STEADING OFFICES, MANAGER'S HOUSE AND ANCILLARY STRUCTURES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 22:23