David and Thomas Stevenson, 1858, with additional buildings of circa 1905. Lighthouse complex including original 3-stage tower and keepers accommodation to S, later engine house and offices to N, and fog horn house to W. Harled walls with droved ashlar margins, all painted.
TOWER: 3-stage tower comprising battered circular shaft on base course and circular concrete plinth; 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber entrance door with 2-pane fanlight centred to N and narrow 3-pane fixed lights centred to S at each lower stage. Droved sandstone string course at upper stage, bold corbels above, supporting balcony with cast-iron handrail around cylindrical murette surmounted by lantern comprised of triangular-paned glazing with arrow weathervane vent to dome above.
KEEPER'S ACCOMMODATION: single storey, 5 x 2-bay building of double- pile plan with M-gables. Base and eaves courses, margined corners and windows with projecting cills. Irregularly fenestrated S elevation with later concrete-roofed porches projecting at centre and left. Irregularly fenestrated E gable; regularly fenestrated N elevation except blank in bay at outer left. Small flat-roofed stugged ashlar toilet block with base course and vertically-boarded timber door adjacent to NE corner of keeper's accommodation.
ENGINE HOUSE AND OIL TANKS: single storey, with asymmetrical 7-bay elevations to N and S and blank end elevations. Base course, blocking course at eaves; long and short quoins to corners and windows. Rivetted cast-iron tanks on concrete bases adjoining SW corner. Glazed brick walls, tiled floors and 4-panel doors to interior.
STORE: single storey, 3-bay symmetrical store building with base course; vertically-boarded timber door in each bay of S elevation, regular fenestration in N elevation.
FOG HORN HOUSE: single tier tower comprising battered semi-circular plan shuttered concrete plinth with vertically-boarded timber door; exterior wall enclosing stair and works, surmounted by cogged track (horn now replaced by modern radar).
3-pane fixed-lights to tower; modern glazing to keeper's accommodation, some timber sash and case windows comprising 6-pane upper sashes over 2-pane lower sashes surviving at engine house. Green slate M-roof to keeper's accommodation with cast-iron gutters and downpipes with decorative hoppers; formal arrangement of coped, stugged sandstone and cement-rendered stacks with circular cans to apexes of W gables, ridges, and valley; cement-rendered skew copes. Flat roof to engine house; cast-iron downpipes with hoppers; 2 flue cement-rendered stack with circular cans, at centre of roof. Purple-grey slate roof to store with cast-iron gutters and downpipe with decorative hopper.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: flagstone rubble boundary walls, harl- pointed and whitewashed on inner face. Stugged sandstone gatepiers with pyramidal caps at entrance gate to NE.