There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Supplementary Information Updated
- Local Authority
- Perth And Kinross
- Planning Authority
- Perth And Kinross
- NN 81688 49260
- 281688, 749260
Mid 18th century or earlier; longhouse probably converted to 2 dwellings c1800; restored 1992 and 1997, James F Stephen Architects, E gable rebuilt. Thatch reinstated by Duncan Matheson 1992. Outstanding rare survival of single storey, 6-bay, cruck-framed longhouse under thatched roof of rye straw and heather divots. Interior with remarkable retention of rare wattle and daub, and lath and plaster hanging lums. Irregular walls of roughly snecked rubble with some huge roughly squared quoins; roof structure of jointed and pegged cruck couples (renewed at E end) standing on large stones built into wall.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to S comprising original 4-bay dwelling at left with 2-leaf timber door off-centre right, flanking windows, blocked door at outer left and box chimney. 3 bays to right (probably former byre) also with 2-leaf centre door and flanking windows, conventional gablehead stack at right. Rear N elevation with tiny window and small rectangular outshot, probably later.
4-pane glazing pattern in fixed pane windows. 6 pairs of cruck couples (4 original sets to W roof, 2 sets installed 1992 and 1997 to part of E roof) support thatch of rye straw laid on divots with heather divots to E ridge.
INTERIOR: 6 pairs of cruck couples, space subdivided with stone wall (probably originally partitioned with timber) forming 2 rooms. Room to W with large wattle and daub hanging lum (E and N sides rebuilt 1997) at centre and small outshot with plank seat to N wall. E room with lath and plaster hanging lum (strengthened with horizontal laths), timber salt box with circular opening at centre wall and later fireplace at E wall with large granite lintel.
PEAT SHED: situated to SW of longhouse. Large, open ended, rectangular-plan, rubble peat shed with 3 pairs of crucks and corrugated roof.
Statement of Special Interest
Formerly listed separately as 'Camserney Farm Longhouse' at category B and 'Camserney Farm Peat Shed' at category C(S).
The longhouse at Nether Camserney is an important and very rare survival of a cruck framed building. Of particular note is the rare survival of the cruck couples, thatch (renewed 1997) and very fine hanging lums. Renewing thatch at regular intervals was common practice owing to the relatively short life of thatching materials. It was, however, put to good use as old thatch makes excellent fertiliser particularly if it is soot-laden. Nether Camserney belongs to a building tradition once found across Scotland and variously named longhouse, blackhouse or byre dwelling. The plan form, combining dwelling and byre under a single roof, became a well established and practical solution rich in local variations of materials and building techniques according to vernacular diversity. Evidence that the E end of Camserney Longhouse formerly housed a byre is seen in the drain beside the door at that end of the building and the cill beam of a former wattle partition. The cruck couples are made up of small timbers, jointed and pegged, to provide continuous roof support. This method of jointing was common in many parts of Scotland.
Last occupied in the 1950s, the longhouse measures 72'6"(22m) x 17'9"(5.2m), and the W room which had been subdivided is now restored as a single space with its impressive large central hanging lum. During the 1990s, renovation work was carried out including removal of corrugated iron from the roof, re-thatching the E end and rebuilding the E gable. The small outshot at the N wall may have been for a bed but now serves as a seat. When converted to two dwellings, a lobby and loft stair were created but these have also been removed restoring the interior to virtually its original plan. The associated peat shed measures approximately 33' x 15' and unlike the longhouses on the 1855-8 map appears as a single rectangle with no division.
The 1855-8 map shows a collection of similar longhouse-type footprints at the ferm toun of Nether Camserney. Such settlements were not uncommon throughout Scotland before the sweeping changes brought about by Highland Clearances and Improvement fever. During the 1700 and 1800s centuries old farming traditions were subsumed in an agrarian revolution as significant for rural landscapes as was the industrial revolution for urban development.
List descriptions merged and category revised to category A 2008. Formerly listed as 'Camserney Farm Longhouse' at category B and 'Camserney Farm Peat Shed' at category C(S). In separate ownership 2008. Also known as Camserney Farm and Nether Camserney.
Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust Camserney Longhouse Conservation Project (undated). J G Dunbar in Proceedings of Society of Antiquaries Scotland Vol XC p81 et seqq (il and plans). N Haynes Perth and Kinross An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2000), p131. John Gifford The Buildings of Scotland Perth and Kinross (2007), pp124, 327-8, illus p125. Historic Scotland Technical Advice Note 6: Walker, McGregor and Little Earth Structures and Construction in Scotland (1996). 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1855-8). Fenton and Walker The Rural Architecture of Scotland (1981), p10. Information courtesy of owner of Camserney Longhouse. www.pkht.org.uk [accessed 02.04.08]. Alexander Fenton Scottish Country Life (1999), pp65, 202.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAMSERNEY LONGHOUSE AND PEAT SHED
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 18/02/2019 00:16