Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - B
Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 14448 77503
314448, 677503


Early 12th century, with 17th century additions and alterations; tower (incorporating earlier work) by Alfred Greig, 1937. Romanesque church comprising 3-bay nave with 3-stage square plan tower to W, single storey chancel and stilted apse stepping down to E, and Rosebery aisle projecting to N forming T-plan. Squared and droved sandstone ashlar walls with stugged and polished dressings and details. Base course, string course, corbelled eaves course to chancel and apse.

TOWER: 3-stage, with angle buttress. Base course, with string course dividing stages. Blank stage at base, round-arched windows at 2nd stage, round arched arrowslits at third stage. Arrow slits on angle buttress.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: elevation slightly advanced between centre and left bays; studded timber round-arched door flanked by double order of engaged Romanesque columns, arch-head enclosed by elaborately carved voussoirs, inner row with carvings of zodiacal and bestiary figures, outer row with projecting grotesque heads and Agnus Dei; blind intersecting arcade with paired columns and scalloped capitals, carved corbels at eaves. Window over string course in each bay comprising round-arched window with flanking nook-shafts and carved voussoirs to arch-heads. Raggle of former addition evident on lower chancel to right. Apse to outer right (see E elevation).

N ELEVATION: doorway on N end of 1671 Rosebery Aisle comprising round arch with chevrons, supporting cornice, double order of engaged Romanesque columns with scalloped capitals; 2-leaf studded and panelled door with matching timber infill to arch head. 20th century lean-to addition to left, near re-entrant angle. Raggle of former addition on lower chancel to left. Round-arched doorway near re-entrant angle to W, with window aligned above. Carved armorial panel to left, bearing Primrose arms, with window aligned above. Apse to outer left (see below).

E ELEVATION: lower symmetrical, semicircular-ended apse. Round- arched windows with engaged colonettes and carved voussoirs to N, S and E. Grotesque heads to corbels.

INTERIOR: rib-vaulted roof. Romanesque arches with scalloped and chevroned capitals, human and grotesque heads to corbels. Acanthus pattern to abaci. Apse narrower than chancel, narrower in turn than nave. Medieval graveslabs in chancel and apse floor. Corbels, with human and grotesque heads. Various masons? marks. Timber pulpit, with evangelical beasts forming capitals, by H O Tarbolton, 1928. Stone font by Ian G Lindsay, 1950. Three stained glass lights in apse (Madonna and Child, St Margaret, St Theresa) by Lalia Dickson, 1942.

Variety of stained glass windows. Graded grey slate roof with stone ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Skews with bracket skewputts.

CHURCHYARD: variety of graves and monuments, including table-tops and gravestones. Partly enclosed by random rubble wall, with semicircular coping.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with 1-3 (inclusive) Easter Dalmeny Cottages, Gospatric House, 1-6 (inclusive) and 9-15 (inclusive) Dalmeny Village Main Street, Dalmeny Village Telephone Kiosk, Dalmeny Village War Memorial, 1-4 (inclusive) Wester Dalmeny Farm Cottages, Wester Dalmeny Farmhouse and Wester Dalmeny Steading (see separate listings).

The Rosebery aisle was built in 1671, rebuilt in the early 19th century, and restored in 1937. The W tower was built in 1937 on the foundations of the old tower, which had been demolished.

The churchyard has some very good examples of 17th and 18th century gravestones, including the supposed coffin of the church's builder, a huge structure with a head-cavity, and carved with winged beasts and religious figures. Some 18th century stones bear mason?s tools. The earliest noted gravestone is of 1678.



MacGregor Chalmers, Carter and Pratt, DALMENY KIRK (1904); RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN WEST LOTHIAN (1929); McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978); Scotland's Churches Scheme, CATHEDRALS, ABBEYS AND CHURCHES IN SCOTLAND (1996).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DALMENY VILLAGE, 20 MAIN STREET, DALMENY KIRK, ST CUTHBERT'S, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, INCLUDING CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/04/2019 19:05