Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

STOBHALL, SUNDIAL IN FORMAL GARDEN TO N OF DOWERY HOUSELB5479

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Cargill
NGR
NO 13212 34399
Coordinates
313212, 734399

Description

Possibly 17th century. Detached sundial sited in Formal Garden to N of Dowery House, incorporating square cap with 4 hollow dials, ogee top and ball on Doric column with 3 dials half way up.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as 'Stobhall, Sundial No 1 approx 25 Yards North of Dowery House' Part of A Group with HB numbers 79, 5473-5, 5477, 5480-81 and 43856. An interesting early dial, closely resembling the style of dial listed by MacGibbon & Ross as 'Dials on Market and Other Crosses'. The simplicity of design contrasts with the Baroque style, employed more normally for obelisk type dials, which is much more exuberant and heavily carved. An almost identical dial (listed separately) is attached to the terrace wall sited to the SW of Dowery House. That example is dated 1957. A slightly different style of facetted dial (also listed separately) is located in the Octagonal Garden to the NE of Dowery House.

Dowery House dates from the 17th century and it was during this period, when gracious living began to flourish, that formal gardens were being developed around traditional tower houses in the form of 'parterres and knot gardens, sundials and fountains' (Buxbaum, p7). Intense scientific interest led to early publications on the construction of sundials 'in which definite rules are laid down for the guidance of the dial-maker, so as to ensure

his producing a work which will accurately note the passing hours' (MacGibbon & Ross, p357).

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon & Ross Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland Vol V (1990 facsimile of 1887-92 edition). 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1859-64, 1894). Tim Buxbaum Scottish Garden Buildings (1989).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STOBHALL, SUNDIAL IN FORMAL GARDEN TO N OF DOWERY HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 19:27