Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NO 13192 34364
313192, 734364


16th - 17th century. Small single storey and raised basement, 2-bay, rectangular-plan, crowstepped building formerly incorporating brewhouse and bakehouse in basement with laundry at ground. Sited on ground falling steeply to W garden and River Tay, and overlooking small courtyard to E, with mid 20th century link to Dowery House at NE, abutting Surrounding Wall at W and Chapel to S. Random rubble with roughly squared quoins and margins, voussoirs and steeply pitched roof with eyelid dormer openings

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: very low, 2-bay E (courtyard) elevation with steeply pitched roof over timber door off-centre right and small window at left. W (garden) elevation with raised basement incorporating centre door and flanking tiny windows below paired dormer windows at centre and flanking rooflights.

8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes; ashlar-coped crowstepped skews with beak skewputts.


Mid 19th century, probably incorporating remains of demolished 1781 block. Buttressed rubble walls on raised ground overlooking River Tay with ashlar gablet coping and attached 1957 terminal-type, square sundial, sited to S end of wall.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: ball-finialled, square sundial with hollow dial in square panel to each face; N and S faces with gnomons, E face with incised carving '1957 GANG WARILY'.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as 'Stobhall, Laundry, Brewhouse and Bakehouse Block' and 'Stobhall Surrounding Walls'. Part of A Group with HB numbers 79, 5473, 5475, 5477, 5479-81 and 43856. Prominently located on a significant raised site this small, little-altered, vernacular structure forms an important element of the Stobhall courtyard. The brewhouse and bakehouse is an excellent and rare example of its type. Originally serving a vitally important role in the running of the household, it was linked with the Dowery House in the 1950s. The group surrounds the main courtyard to the E and the lower courtyard to the W which is bounded by the early surrounding walls (see above) and overlooks terraced gardens bordered by the River Tay.

Macgibbon & Ross describe the laundry as a building of 'most quaint appearance, with its low side walls only 3 or 4 feet in height, and its lofty roof seeming to rise almost from the ground'. They also mention the bakehouse oven which was removed during the 1950s. The Macgibbon & Ross entry is misleading in that the plan is incorrectly oriented.

The sundial, carved with the Clan Drummond motto 'Gang Warily', is of traditional appearance and replicates the cap of a detached obelisk-type dial (listed separately) in the Formal Garden to the N of Dowery House. A slightly different style of facetted dial (also listed separately) is located in the Octagonal Garden to the NE of Dowery House. A further simple terminal-type dial is located at the NW angle of the terrace walls.

List description revised June 2007.



Macgibbon & Ross Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland Vol II p366 (1990 facsimile of 1887-92 edition). 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1859-64, 1894).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STOBHALL, LAUNDRY, BREWHOUSE AND BAKEHOUSE BLOCK AND SURROUNDING WALLS INCLUDING SUNDIAL TO SW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 16:55