There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority
- Scottish Borders
- NT 23653 47177
- 323653, 647177
Designers: Kazimierz Trafas and Roman Wolnik with assistance from J Szewczuk, Z Olecki and M Raton, for Jan Tomasik, 1974-6. Large, 50m x 40m, sculptured concrete topographical relief map of mainland Scotland and Western Isles. 1:10000 scale with 500 percent vertical exaggeration, set within oval pool excavation 1.5 metres deep in garden ground to S of Barony Castle Hotel (see separate listing). Includes major geographical landmarks and river and loch system fed by network of pipes.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: coastal outline: shuttered concrete, 50 centimetres high, infilled with rubble, soil and concrete to provide level foundation for landmass above sea-level. Terraced core: brick, tin and concrete terraces scaled to nearest 300, 600 or 900 metres above sea-level. Surface: fine-mix concrete modelled to represent topography; embedded plastic pipes to feed water to major rivers, lochs and surrounding sea. Painted (traces remain, 2012) to illustrate land-use including urban and forest areas. Plastered, cinder-block retaining wall to pool.
Statement of Special Interest
The Great Polish Map of Scotland is a large and important cartographic sculpture in the grounds of Barony Castle Hotel (see separate listing). The Map serves to commemorate the presence of Polish forces in Scotland during World War II and their significant contribution to the allied war effort. Built on a scale of 1:10000, it is understood to be the largest topographical relief model of its kind in the United Kingdom by a considerable margin.
The map was constructed by five Polish geographers from the Jagiellonian University in Krakow using a range of unorthodox cartographic methods. Site preparation and construction of the coastal outline was carried out during a three week visit to Scotland in May/June 1974. Surface modelling was completed May to July the following year. The modelling of mountains, rivers and glens by hand on such an immense scale required an artistic eye for the spatial and geometric relationships across the surface of the map. The completed structure is a combination of precise survey technique and intuitive hand-crafting to create a convincing three-dimensional representation of Scotland when viewed from an elevated position.
After modelling was complete, the surface was coated to help protect against the elements and then painted to indicate land-use including forest and urban areas. The roughly oval-shaped excavation was filled with water containing blue dye to a depth of 50 centimetres. The original brief was expanded to include a water-feature which involved a network of imbedded pipes to feed water to the major rivers and lochs.The structure is a significant water-feature intervention within an established garden landscape setting.
The owner and proprietor of Barony Castle Hotel from 1969 to 1977 was Jan Tomasik - a Polish veteran of World War II who settled in Scotland after the war. While his specific intentions do not appear to have been recorded, it is generally considered that he conceived the giant map (with input from his former commander, General Stanislaw Mazcek who also settled in Scotland) in recognition of the hospitality shown by Scotland to Mazcek and his First Amoured Division during and after World War II. The map equally serves as a symbol of Poland's military contribution to the strategic defence of Scotland during the war, as well as the distinguished history of collaboration between the two nations more broadly.
Following the annexing of Poland by Nazi Germany in 1939, Polish forces made their way across Europe to Scotland to reconvene at a number of lowland locations including Barony Castle where a staff college for Polish army officers was established by 1942. Whilst reforming, they were tasked with creating defences for large sections of Scotland's east coast. A terrain map of Scotland is said to have been created in the grounds of Barony Castle in the winter of 1940 showing key roads, railways and the locations of military units. Such a map would have assisted with strategic planning and theoretical training exercises in unfamiliar terrain. The map was dismantled before the end of the war and although there is now no physical evidence of its existence (2012), one of the students who helped build the Great Polish Map, Janusz Szewczuk, has written that Jan Tomasik saw the original map while he was stationed at Barony Castle in 1941.
C Fleet, M Wilkes and C Withers, Scotland: Mapping The Nation (2011) p5. Janusz Szewczuk (translation K Chuchra, 2009), The Building of the Great Map, Mapa Scotland Website (accessed May 2012): www.mapascotland.makers.org.uk
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARONY CASTLE HOTEL, THE GREAT POLISH MAP OF SCOTLAND
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 16/01/2019 06:36