Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MAIN STREET, PARISH CHURCH GRAVEYARD, HANS HAMILTON'S TOMBLB5191

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Parish
Dunlop
NGR
NS 40486 49398
Coordinates
240486, 649398

Description

1641. Vaulted burial chamber abutting Clandeboye School with crowstepped gable, stone roof, roll-moulded doorway and monuments inside. Squared, coursed sandstone; flagstone roof. Eaves cornice, returning to form string course at gable. Central doorway to gable with roll-moulded architrave and cast-iron gate; roll-moulded window above; square panel above containing black marble slab (badly corroded, see Notes) below skull and cross bones relief and inscription MEMENTO MORI. Stone finial to gable apex.

INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted; arched recess to rear with grooved stonework to arch and inscription: DAN: 12 CH: VER.3. THEY THAT TURN MANY TO RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL SHINE AS THE STARRES FOR EVER AND EVER. Central cartouche above arch and flame-like carved stonework. Sarcophagus inside arch with kneeling male and female figures on top, facing each other across faldstool (see Notes); very long inscription to tympanum (see Notes). Gravestones inserted in to walls (formerly on floor) of Janet Maxwell (North) and Hans Hamilton and Janet Dedholm (South).

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Clandeboye School and Dunlop Parish Church. This tomb was erected by James, Viscount Candeboye (who also commissioned the adjoining school) in honour of his parents Hans (Johannes) Hamilton and Janet Dedholm. Hans Hamilton was the first protestant minister of Dunlop. Although it has lost much of its former glory, the tomb is a remarkable piece of mid-17th century monumental architecture, of which there are very few surviving examples. The interior of the vault was originally plastered and heavily ornamented with painted decoration and gilding. Fragments of this decoration was still apparent in when the Statistical Account was written in 1792. The tomb has suffered much from a lack of maintenance over the years. This is principally due to a lack of funds, and the fact that no member of Hans Hamilton's family lived close enough to take an interest in the tomb. Dobie quotes a letter from William Mure of Caldwell, showing that even as early as 1699 there was a problem in gathering the necessary money for its repair. There is presently (2004) an on-going project to conserve the tomb: the statues have been mended, and some work has been done on the archway. Unfortunately the roof still leaks, and it has been decided to keep the statues elsewhere until it has been made watertight. It is understood that the statues are presently in the care of one of the partners of Howie and Son (Dunlop). There is a very similar pair of statues at Clonleigh Parish Church, Lifford, Ulster, which are illustrated in 'Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster'. These statues date from 1619, and it is possible that Viscount Clandeboye had these copied, as he worked as a spy for James VI in Ireland.

Over the entrance to the vault, under the skull and cross-bones, is a black marble slab that has been severely corroded through contact with the surrounding sandstone. According to the Statistical Account it was inscribed COME LORD JESUS COME 1641, IcLV. The latter initials are believed to stand for 'James Lord Viscount Clandeboyes'. A very detailed description of the tomb, with illustrative drawings, and full transcriptions of all the inscriptions, which are too lengthy to reproduce here, is given in Dobie. There are also good descriptions in the Statistical Account and in Bayne.

References

Bibliography

Rev Thomas Brisbane, STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, Volume 9 (1792) pp545-7. Shown on 1st edition OS map (1858). J S Dobie, THE CHURCH OF DUNLOP in The Archaeological and Historical Collections of the Counties of Ayr and Wigtown, Volume IV (1883), pp40-45 and plates III and IV. J F Bayne, DUNLOP PARISH (1935), pp54-60.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, PARISH CHURCH GRAVEYARD, HANS HAMILTON'S TOMB

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 14:59