Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

2, 4 AND 6 NORTH BRIDGE STREET AND 2 CROFT ROAD, INCLUDING STONE GATEPIERSLB51221

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
18/11/2008
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Hawick
NGR
NT 5044 1490
Coordinates
350440, 614900

Description

James Pearson Alison, dated 1892 and 1904; earlier-20th-century additions to rear. Single-storey, corner-sited, rectangular-plan, classical-detailed former Post Office with 5 bays to each elevation including later 2-storey, 3-bay addition to North Bridge Street elevation. Canted pedimented corner entrance with fluted Ionic columns flanked by 2 pedimented tripartite windows to each elevation. Blonde sandstone ashlar; coursed rubble and render to gables. Base course; cill course; string course; parapet. Corniced eaves course and balustraded parapet to second floor extension. Pedimented tripartite windows with fluted pilaster mullions. 2-leaf timber panelled door in central broken pedimented doorway to 2-storey section with plaque bearing letters 'Post Office'. Lowered cill to right window for former letter box. Earlier-20th-century, 2-storey and single-storey flat-roofed red brick additions to rear.

Timber sash and case windows to 2-storey section; fixed glazing in timber-framed windows elsewhere. Grey slate roof. Stone skews. Large corniced gable stacks with short clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

STONE GATEPIERS: Later square ashlar gatepiers to former side delivery entrance.

Statement of Special Interest

The former Post Office buildings form a strong pair, prominently corner sited, and with good Classical stone detailing. The architect, J P Alison (1862-1932), was Hawick's most prominent architect. He first set up his practice in North Bridge Street in 1887 and the Post Office is one of his earlier commissions before he changed direction later in his career to concentrate more on private villas.

Hawick Post Office had been at 27 High Street since 1880, but was deemed inadequate and these new buildings were commissioned. The buildings cost £2,402 to construct and were paid for by James Oliver of Thornwood (now Mansfield House Hotel). When first built, the entire building was single storey but a second storey was added to the N end in 1904, presumably for accommodation. In 1972 the sorting office moved to St George's Lane and this building was sold in 1993 to become Stamper's pub. The roof of the single-storey section was previously piended (see photo in Young, Old Hawick).

Stone carved plaques with crown details inscribed 'ER' and '1904' to raised storey of 3 bay section to right.

Single-storey section converted to public house and 2-storey section under separate ownership and currently used as a restaurant (2007).

References

Bibliography

Copies of plans in Aitken Turnbull archive, Hawick. Shown on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1897). Hawick Advertiser, 4 September 1891 & 8 February 1892. R E Scott, Companion to Hawick and District (1998) p28. Alex F Young, Old Hawick (2004), p14. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p362.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2, 4 AND 6 NORTH BRIDGE STREET AND 2 CROFT ROAD, INCLUDING STONE GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 04:14