There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 24/09/2008
- Local Authority: Renfrewshire
- Planning Authority: Renfrewshire
- Burgh: Johnstone
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 4304 6312
- Coordinates: 243040, 663120
Lennox & MacMath, opened 1939/40. Streamlined Art Deco former cinema converted to bingo 1964. Prominently sited on gently-sloping corner site with wide 2-storey, 5-bay curved corner entrance with distinctive chevron-glazed lights divided by fin pilasters. Painted stone to street elevation; cement-rendered auditorium. Base course; 5 picture windows at 1st floor to High Street elevation linked by cill course (stepped down 2 bays to outer right).
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 3 pairs of 2-leaf metal-framed glazed doors to recessed corner entrance under curved cantilevered concrete canopy 5 tall windows above with chevron glazing divided by projecting fins breaking wallhead. Asymmetrical streamlined style retail shop front to outer right of High Street elevation with curved window.
INTERIOR: decorative scheme of auditorium largely intact with classical-derived Art Deco detailing. Cinema seating removed for bingo hall conversion. Segmental-arched proscenium with roll-moulded cornice springing from triple colonettes and deep cavetto-moulded architrave; curved balcony. Projection room largely intact.
Decorative glazing to 1st floor corner section; non-traditional glazing to picture windows. Corrugated asbestos roof.
Statement of Special Interest
The former Globe Cinema is a good example of a small town 1930s streamlined Art Deco cinema. It is prominently sited on a corner position in the High Street, and importantly, its distinctive corner entrance with fins and chevron glazing pattern remains intact.
Lennox & MacMath, a Glasgow-based firm, was established in 1906 and specialised in cinema and petrol station design. Most of their work was carried out in Glasgow, Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire.
While the streamlined Art Deco design was fashionable at the time, Chris Doak has noted that a consciously modern appearance for the cinema was a requirement of Johnstone Town Council. In the 1930s the Council wished all new buildings to have a modern appearance as part of a largely unfulfilled plan to modernise the town centre. Its position slightly set back from the existing building line was also a requirement - a recess of 10ft was stipulated to allow for possible future widening of the High Street.
Chris Doak notes that the builder for the Globe cinema was Kenneth Friese-Greene of Sheffield who was a cinema equipment specialist and amateur cinematographer. He was the son of William Friese-Greene, who is often credited as the inventor of cinematography. Kenneth's brother Claude was also a successful cinematographer.
The picture windows originally had metal-framed margined lying-pane glazing. The cinema has been used as a bingo hall since 1964.
Listed following the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-8.
www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed May 2008). Third revision Ordnance Survey map (1937-40). Further information courtesy of Chris Doak.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.