Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLENDOLL LODGE WITH SQUASH COURTLB50706

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
14/11/2006
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Cortachy And Clova
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 27873 76308
Coordinates
327873, 776308

Description

Circa 1872 with later additions and alterations. 2-storey U-plan picturesque shooting lodge with very decorative pierced bargeboarding to gables and 1st floor dormers and deep bracketed eaves. Painted roughcast harl with painted red sandstone margins. Base course; sandstone window margins with slightly projecting cills; sandstone quoin strips; generally regular fenestration with bargeboarded dormers slightly breaking eaves at 1st floor to all elevations (except service courtyard) and roof outshot between dormers.

FURTHER DETAILS: principal elevation to S: slightly advanced 2-bay gables flanking 3-bay central section with bargeboarded porch at centre; round-arched doorway blocked and replaced by small window. 5-bay entrance range to E with slightly lower 2-bay early 20th century addition to outer right; broad bargeboarded porch in 2nd bay from left with 2 steps to round-arched entrance, timber-boarded panelling to dado, and timber benches; 2-leaf timber panelled front door in plain margined architrave with blocked rectangular fanlight. 3-bay garden elevation to W with later single storey addition to outer left; slightly irregular fenestration with piend-roofed canted bay window at ground to right. Irregularly fenestrated service courtyard to N (rear) with long range to E and shorter range to W; timber-boarded back doors; some rooflights.

Predominantly small-pane glazing in Crittal windows (see Notes). Smart rendered stacks with sandstone cornices and quoin strips; some yellow clay cans. Graded grey Scottish slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

INTERIOR: curved timber staircase with barley-twist cast-iron balusters and decorative newel. Decorative cornicing to principal rooms and plainer cornicing to bedrooms.

SQUASH COURT: circa 1950. 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan, gabled squash court building with deep bracketed eaves. Venetian window to E gable. Roughcast-rendered brick. Bays divided by pilaster-strips (possibly steel frame). Timber-boarded entrance door with small canopy. Welsh slate roof with skylights.

Interior: entrance lobby with cast-iron spiral staircase at far end giving access to balcony above. Squash court with narrow timber floor boards and steel-trussed roof.

OUTBUILDING: small gabled brick outbuilding / stable with Welsh slate roof to W of squash court.

Statement of Special Interest

A large and well-designed shooting lodge situated in a secluded position in Glendoll forest. The architectural composition of the building is fairly simple, with 2 regularly fenestrated gabled wings joined by a cross-block, but the rows of very decorative bargeboarded dormers give it a striking appearance. The balance between decoration and simplicity is well-handled with the result that the building is ornate without being fussy. The margined, corniced chimney stacks also contribute to the smart appearance of the building.

According to Alexander Warden, Glendoll Lodge was built by the Earl of Southesk at some point between 1871, when he acquired Clova deer forest, and 1877, when he sold it again. The property passed through a number of hands until the area was acquired by the Forestry Commission in the 1930s. It is likely that the Forestry Commission installed the Crittal windows. It is not known what the original glazing scheme looked like, but one window on the S elevation is bipartite with narrow sash and case windows on each side of a timber mullion, and it is likely that this is an original window. In the 1950s the house was sold to the Youth Hostel Association, who removed most of the interior fixtures including all the fireplaces, interior doors, and any panelling that may have existed. The dormer windows and gableheads probably lost their decorative finials at that time too.

The Squash court is believed to date from the 1950s, and is not shown in a postcard dating from the late 1940s.

References

Bibliography

A J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE, volume III (1882), pp121-2. Shown on 2nd Edition OS Map (1900).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENDOLL LODGE WITH SQUASH COURT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 09:58