Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GALAFOOT, RAILWAY VIADUCT OVER TWEEDLB50690

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/2006
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Galashiels
NGR
NT 51569 35257
Coordinates
351569, 635257

Description

Circa 1849 for the North British Railway. 5-arch railway viaduct crossing the River Tweed in an E-W direction. Squared sandstone rubble with ashlar voussoirs to segmental arches. Rusticated sandstone piers. Sandstone parapet with sandstone ashlar copes. Boat-shaped cutwaters on upstream and downstream sides.

Statement of Special Interest

This viaduct, known as Tweed Viaduct or Redbridge Viaduct, is a well-preserved and notable example of a railway viaduct of the mid-19th century, related to the Waverley line, which ran from Edinburgh to Carlisle - the most celebrated railway route of Southern Scotland. The viaduct, as well as making a significant visual contribution to this part of Galashiels, is an important survival, both as an example of the engineering related to the construction of the railway, and as a reminder of the prominence of the railway in the 19th century development of the town.

The arrival of the railway in Galashiels is closely linked with a massive increase in textile manufacture and trade in the later 19th century. The railway allowed easy access to both the English market and Lothian coal, which was increasingly used to power Galashiels mills from this date.

The Edinburgh and Hawick Railway was opened in 1849 by the North British Railway and formed the first part of the line from Edinburgh to Carlisle. The railway through Galashiels was initially known as the Border union, but in 1862 the railway was officially named the Waverley line, to emphasise the connection with Walter Scott, as nearby Abbotsford increased in popularity as a literary shrine. In 1856 a branch line opened to Selkirk and in 1866 a line opened to Galashiels from Peebles and Innerleithen. The route eventually closed in 1969.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (c1856), 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (c1896). Bill Peacock, Waverley Route Reflections, (1983). Charles Strang, Borders and Berwick, (1991), p201. Galashiels, A Modern History, (1983), p125. Margaret C Lawson, Guid Auld Galashiels, (nd). K Cruft et al., Buildings of Scotland, Borders, (2006), p293. John Thomas, A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, Vol 6, (Rev ed 1984). The Old Gala Club, Scotland In Old Photographs - Galashiels, (1996), p47. www.railscot.co.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GALAFOOT, RAILWAY VIADUCT OVER TWEED

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 22:17