Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GALAFOOT ROAD, GALAFOOT WASTE WATER TREATMENT PLANT, GALAFOOT HOUSE (POWER HOUSE), LABORATORY AND OFFICE BLOCK AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGSLB50689

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
14/11/2006
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Galashiels
NGR
NT 51210 35078
Coordinates
351210, 635078

Description

Dated 1910 with later additions. Complex of sewage works buildings with related tanks and systems.

POWER HOUSE: Dated 1910. 2-storey, 7-bay, T-plan power house, to W of site. Advanced crowstepped gabled central entrance bay; plaque depicting the fox and plum tree crest of Galashiels inscribed '1337-sour plums'. Arched windows to gable ends. Coursed whinstone, smooth red sandstone quoins and margins. Base course; banded eaves course. 6-, 15- and 18-pane metal casement windows; slate roofs; crowstepped gables; beaked skewputts; crested clay ridge tiles; cast-iron rainwater goods.

LABORATORY AND OFFICE BLOCK: 1- and 2-storey, 3-bay, piended-roof, L-plan office and laboratory; tripartite windows to gables of lower laboratory section; later brick and glazed porch to re-entrant angle; separate door to laboratory (SE); c1980s extension to rear (NE). Coursed whinstone, smooth red sandstone quoins and margins. Base course; banded eaves course. Predominantly 6-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows; slate roofs; crested clay ridge tiles and finials; distinctive corniced blue glazed brick stacks with terracotta cans. Cast-iron gutters neatly formed to eaves course.

ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: 3-bay range: blue glazed brick with banded and dentilled eaves detail; sandstone margins and crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts; slate roofs. Small 1-bay square plan glazed brick pump house in similar style with piended-roof and 9-pane fixed metal casements.

Statement of Special Interest

The waste water treatment buildings form a significant group with a distinctive cohesive style and make a strong contribution to the early modern 20th century history of Galashiels, ultimately becoming a model waste disposal system to be copied by other local burghs.

Proposals for a town sewage disposal system were first mooted in 1879 over concern over the lack of drainage system in the town and the increased amount of industrial effluent, much of which was flushed untreated into the Gala Water. The proposals were in direct competition for local funding with the proposed extension to the existing Burgh Buildings which local councillors were proposing to expand. The disagreement ultimately resulted in the resignation of all the existing town councillors and replacement with new councillors in favour of a new sewage system, who were elected in 1903 under Provost Rutherford. An enquiry held in 1907 ended in a Parliamentary Order in 1908 approving the proposals for a new sewage system for the town.

Burgh engineers formed the plans for the scheme from 1908, and the main works were completed by 1912 at a cost of around £70,000. The buildings on the Galafoot site were constructed in 1910 as an integral part of this major development. The following few years saw the connection of all dwellings in the town to the sewage system; Galashiels subsequently became an example to other local Burghs who had yet introduced waste disposal systems.

Subsequent agreements were made with local manufacturers for industrial waste to be treated through the council's sewers at prescribed charges.

The sewage disposal works at Galafoot were modernised in 1961/64 and further works in 1975 included the improvement and expansion of the whole system. The Galafoot plant and associated buildings are still in use today as the main sewage treatment plant for the Burgh.

References

Bibliography

Galashiels, A Modern History, (1983) p26. 3rd revision ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1930).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GALAFOOT ROAD, GALAFOOT WASTE WATER TREATMENT PLANT, GALAFOOT HOUSE (POWER HOUSE), LABORATORY AND OFFICE BLOCK AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2021 09:22