There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 09/08/2005
- Local Authority: South Lanarkshire
- Planning Authority: South Lanarkshire
- Burgh: Rutherglen
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 61205 61660
- Coordinates: 261205, 661660
John McKissack & Son, 1935-6. Art Deco former cinema composed of brick auditorium with pitched roof fronted by white faience-clad Art Deco entrance façade stepped up towards centre with abstracted Classical detailing and small shops to each side of principal entrance. Brick on steel or reinforced concrete frame with white tiled frontage.
DESCRIPTION: 4 2-leaf doors in recessed entrance below curved canopy to centre of principal elevation; small shops to each side; moulded rectangular Art Deco pediment above entrance with bracketed cornice and stepped central finial. Truncated fluted columns flanking to each side. Roughly rectangular auditorium behind with tapered rear end.
INTERIOR: Imperial staircase at rear of entrance foyer with Art Deco balusters and tapered columns flanking to each side. Curved ceiling to auditorium with large 'O' in cusped recess to centre of ceiling; stage with flanking columns set in curved proscenium; concave curved balcony with Art Deco mouldings. Staircases to balcony and projection room. Several pairs of original 2-leaf swing doors.
Statement of Special Interest
A well-detailed Art Deco cinema situated in a prominent position on the main road through Rutherglen. The arrangement of the entrance façade is very unusual with a clever use of abstracted classical detailing to create a modern effect. The original entrance doors and shop fronts have been replaced. The interior still retains a number of original features including the foyer staircase and most of the decorative features in the auditorium (currently used as a Bingo hall - 2005).
The cinema was originally built as an addition to the 'Vogue' chain, seating 1,750, but was bought by Odeon shortly after it opened. It is possible that alterations may have been made to the interior décor at this time. The Vogue was commissioned by George Singleton who owned a chain of cinemas of the same name in and around Glasgow. Designed by James McKissack in 1935 and was opened in January 1936, it operated as a cinema until 1974.
The practice, John McKissack and Son, was named after James's father, who died in 1915. From about that time James McKissack focused almost entirely on cinema design and built over 25 cinemas before his death in 1940, many of which were for George Singleton.
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Rutherglen Dean of Guild Register (plan ref RU1935/15) at Mitchell Library. THE RUTHERGLEN REFORMER, article Friday 24th January, 1936 (in album of newspaper cuttings held by the manager). DICTIONARY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTS at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk Further information from Cinema Theatre Association website: www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 18.01.08).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.