Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 17367 92712
317367, 692712


A Murdoch, 1923. Cullaloe sandstone War Memorial commemorating both World Wars.

MEMORIAL: stepped base supporting corniced square pier with granite panels surmounted by carved decoration. Latin cross above on moulded plinth.

S ELEVATION: granite panel: 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF LUMPHINNANS WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR - AND THE WORLD WAR 1939-45' followed by names of fallen. Above, carved date 1914-19 within laurel wreath.

W ELEVATION: granite panel with names of fallen. Above, laurel wreath enclosing carved crossed swords motif with word 'WAR'.

N ELEVATION: identical to W elevation, but with wreath enclosing celestial crown of victory.

E ELEVATION: identical to N elevation but with wreath enclosing cross of sacrifice.

RAILINGS: low metal railing to W, S and E.

Statement of Special Interest

Prominently sited on the north side of the main thoroughfare in Lumphinnans. 70 names are recorded on the memorial as having fallen in the 1st World War and 12 in the Second World War. The Earl of Zetland donated the ground for the monument. Mr Law, a schoolmaster at Lumphinnans School, was the driving force behind the erection of the memorial as he had lost many of his former pupils in the war.

The unveiling ceremony, in front of a large crowd, was carried out by William Adamson MP for West Fife on the 28th April 1923. The Dunfermline Journal notes that Adamson gave a moving speech comparing the memorial to a 'trysting-place' where the families of the fallen may meet their loved ones in spirit. It is likely that many of the fallen were mine workers from the nearby pits.

The architect is noted in the Journal as 'Mr Andrew Murdoch, architectural and monumental sculptor, Abbotshall Road, Kirkcaldy'.



DUNFERMLINE JOURNAL (May 5th 1923). Ordnance Survey Map (1924-5). United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials, Ref: 5722.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LUMPHINNANS, MAIN STREET, WAR MEMORIAL INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:46