The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
CELLARDYKE, RODGER STREET, NOS 1A, 1-9 (INCLUSIVE), 11-35 (ODD NOS), INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB49883
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NO 57190 3691
- 357190, 703691
Begun by Thomas Brown, builder, 1877. 2-storey and attic paired (excepting No 1) 2-bay terraced tenements purpose-built for local fishing community with single and 2-storey freestanding fishing gear storage to rear terminating in corner shop at N (No 35). Coursed tooled sandstone to street elevation, rubble to rear and sides, excepting N elevation of No 35 which has squared and snecked tooled sandstone. Rectangular piended stair projections to rear, margined window and door openings, polygonal piended dormers, pairs of houses stepped at roofline. Some minor alterations and additions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to left, No 1, 3-bay 2-storey and attic terraced house, to right 10 paired 2-storey and attic terraced tenements, to far right corner shop with chamfered margins. Slight variations to the properties, especially window openings, including bipartite ground floor window to No 6.
Variety of glazing, some 12-pane and 4-pane (those to No 35 with horns) timber sash and case windows, some modern. Modern rooflights. Grey slates. Large gable end stacks and ridge stacks at division of paired tenements. Various door types, some timber 4-panel, some modern, simple rectangular fanlights above.
INTERIOR: No 3, modernised.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: to W, 2-storey 2-bay predominantly terraced rubble-built fishing gear storage sheds forming courtyard with tenements, some with forestairs to W elevation. Few loft hatches to E elevation extant, that to No 3 remains. Variety of glazing, some 6-pane fixed lights. Some simple timber boarded doors. Some ridge stacks remain. Broadly, pantiles to S, slates to N.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low rubble walls to E elevation with predominantly flat coping. High dividing walls forming sides of rear courtyards of properties.
Statement of Special Interest
See also list description for nos 10-38 Rodger Street running parallel opposite.
These tenements are remarkable for their coherent design and uniform development formed for the specific needs of the Cellardyke fishing community. A revival of the fishing industry had created a shortage of housing stock which these buildings hoped to redress. The standard of construction and design at Rodger Street was considerably superior to earlier forms of housing and took on board previous smaller schemes at Ellice Street (by George Rae of St Andrews) and West and East Forth Streets. Crew members who contributed both labour and fishing gear earned twice as much as those only supplying labour and the large amount of gear storage offered at Rodger Street is evidence of the market the builder wished to attract.
No 1 Roger Street was built as a self-contained house, but the rest of the street was constructed as two-family tenements, with access through a doored close leading from front to back and an internal rear stairway. This arrangement has changed over the years, some tenements housing more than two families, and the majority now unobtrusively altered to house just one. As two-family tenements it was usual for the owner to occupy the slightly more spacious upper floor and to rent out the lower floor to provide additional income.
The walled areas to the front of the tenements allowed for the temporary setting down of nets. In contrast to the traditional style of fisher houses with a forestair, where the nets were stored below and living accommodation was above, the Rodger Street buildings had a garret or attic area for for the repair and storage of fishing equipment. Fixed external rear hoists were used for the nets, but sliding dormer beams were more common. It is not known if any of these survive now, although one was extant at No 4 in 1986.
In addition to this, the houses were provided with net and gear storage in the form of detached sheds to the rear of the properties. With high walls on either side the sheds form a small courtyard. Water pumps provided a convenient source of water. Beyond the sheds are generous gardens. The courtyard area would have been entirely concerned with fishing. The shed to No 1 is single storey, however, the remainder are two-storey, comprising probably a lavatory, coal store and washhouse downstairs, with an upstairs loft for gear storage. Some of the loft hatches remain, notably that at No 3.
Thomas Brown took up three feus on the West side of Rodger Street and it is likely that he was still involved along with Alexander Wallace, builder, and Robert Williamson, a Pittenweem plasterer and builder, in the completion of the rest of the side of the street. The majority were completed by 1883.
No 6 was damaged by bombing during the Second World War, hence the bipartite ground floor window. With its chamfered margins it seems likely that the corner shop at No 35 was completed as part of the building scheme on the opposite side of Rodger Street led by Robert Williamson.
Rodger Street is named after the renowned Cellardyke-born captain and shipowner, Alexander Rodger (1801-1877). In 1866 the annual tea race from China to London was won by a hair's breadth by the Taeping, owned by Captain Rodger and crewed by men from Cellardyke. It narrowly beat the Ariel, crewed by Anstruther men. Captain Rodger subscribed to harbour improvements in Cellardyke in 1868 and gave money to assist the poor each winter.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1893-5). J Frew & D Adshead, Scottish Industrial History, FISHER TENEMENT DESIGN IN CELLARDYKE AND THE NORTH EAST FIFE COASTAL BURGHS 1862-1905 (vol 9, 1986) pp 36-55. J Frew, Scottish Industrial History, ROBERT WILLIAMSON PLASTERER AND BUILDER OF CELLARDYKE, 1843-1911 (vols 11-13, 1990) pp47-60.
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CELLARDYKE, RODGER STREET, NOS 1A, 1-9 (INCLUSIVE), 11-35 (ODD NOS), INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 16/05/2022 06:02