There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 11/06/2004
- Local Authority: North Lanarkshire
- Planning Authority: North Lanarkshire
- Burgh: Coatbridge
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 72965 65132
- Coordinates: 272965, 665132
Probably George Graham, 1899. 2-storey (single-storey to platform level), 3-bay freestyle former railway station building (now a restaurant). Red brick with sandstone ashlar long and short quoins and dressings. Ashlar base course, string course to right at impost level on ground floor, bracketed overhanging eaves. Prominent gables with decorative semicircular broken pediments and stone skews; finials to gableheads. Mullioned windows.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled outer bays, that to left slightly advanced. Banded architrave to round-arched doorway at centre. Round-arched window to right at ground floor. lower left. Mullioned bipartite and tripartite windows to upper floor with applied broken scrolled pediment over to outer bays. Decorative plaque resting on ground-level string course.
NE ELEVATION: 2-bay; gabled right bay advanced. Single-storey extension to outer right. 4-step flight to bracketed pediment in projecting bay. Bipartite window above and ground-level single door to right. Large transomed and mullioned tripartite window at ground level of left bay with cornice over. Single and double window to upper floor. Pedimented bipartite window breaking eaves of single-storey projection.
NW ELEVATION: irregular fenestration. Gabled central bay.
Modern timber doors and windows; 4-pane upper, plate glass lower glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate gabled roof with ashlar skews and skewputts. Gablehead, wallhead and ridge stacks; clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: much altered for present use.
Low coped stugged rubble boundary walls. Decorative iron railings. Square plan gatepiers with pyramidal capstones
Statement of Special Interest
Coatbridge Central Station is an excellent example of a late 19th century station house which, despite replacement glazing retains its original character with fine external details. Few of the earlier railway buildings survive in Coatbridge and this building is in a particularly prominent position, close to the hub of Coatbridge.
The Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Line (Caledonian Railways) was opened in 1844.
The line from Rutherglen to Coatbridge was opened first to freight in 1865 and then to passengers in 1866. Initially, Summerlee House was used as a station but by the 1860s it had been taken down and replaced with goods sheds. In 1857 the Caledonian Railway Company built a new station house. The construction of a complete new station began in 1896 and in 1899 permission was granted for the construction of the new station master's house at a cost of £2500. George Graham was at the time engineer to the Caledonian Railway Company and may have been responsible for the Station house. Hume (1974) refers to an awning over both the entrance and the platform, which was accessed from the upper floor. Neither survives, presumably removed when the building was converted for use as a pub.
Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser 4/4/1857. Miller, THE RISE AND PROGRESS OF COATBRIDGE (1864). Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol. 1 - The Lowlands p177.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.