Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

15 SEAVIEW PLACE, FORMER BANK AND BURGH CHAMBERS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERLB49710

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
31/03/2004
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Bo'Ness
NGR
NS 99718 81574
Coordinates
299718, 681574

Description

John Melvin and Sons, 1877; basement and ground floor altered 1903-4 and wing heightened 1907 by James Thomson; alterations 1923 possibly by John A W Lamb (see Notes). Single and 2-storey with basement, 5-bay bank converted to municipal building and hotel, in irregular terrace. Painted ashlar and roughly coursed rubble with ashlar margins and quoin strips. Raised base course, deep frieze and eaves cornice. Decorative doorpiece; architraved, corniced and keystoned openings to NW.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical at ground. Basement with blocked openings. Ramp access with ironwork balusters from both sides leading to centre bay at ground with keystoned round headed door in corniced, pilastered and decoratively-consoled doorpiece; deep-set 2-leaf panelled timber door and semicircular plate glass fanlight, windows in flanking bays, those to right possibly altered above cornice. 3 windows to left of centre at 1st floor with stone pediments breaking eaves; 2 single storey bays to right with dominant wallhead stack and steeply-pitched piended roof.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation with windows grouped to centre and left, and 2 wallhead stacks.

12-pane glazing pattern to upper sashes over plate glass lower in timber sash and case windows to NE, plate glass glazing elsewhere. Grey slates. Banded, coped ashlar stacks with square cans, that to NW with decorative detail (remains of balustrade?). Cast-iron square-section downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornices, architraved doors, dado rails, panelled timber shutters. 2 rooms to single storey wing with altered (walk-through) opening to concave-bowed walls at centre, broad flanking doors with pilasters, carved frieze and cornice; fine plasterwork frieze with medallions depicting various animals and trades to front room, walk-in safe to rear room. Timber dog-leg staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail; small timber-balustered stair to attic. Basement (possibly earlier) with stone staircase with panelled walls and timber handrail, some decorative plasterwork, moulded fire surround with border-carved overmantel and stone urinals.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIER: brick boundary wall to rear. Coped square-section ashlar gatepier.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly the Clydesdale Bank, the building was converted to a hotel, subsequently used as Burgh Chambers some time during the mid 20th century and converted back to hotel premises during the late 1990s. Currently (2003) unoccupied. The owner has been told that the rear extension, probably that indicated in the 1923 drawings, was oak-panelled. The new Clydesdale Bank in Market Street was opened in 1904, and this date coincides with 1903 and 1904 Dean of Guild warrants for James Clark. The 1923 Dean of Guild entry is a proposed reconstruction for Mrs Jeffrey, by an Edinburgh architect, possibly A W Lamb (the signature is unclear) at 3 Thistle Court. Clearly this did not take place, but some of the intended demolition to 'Hall, Ante Room and Lounge' at the rear of the building appear to have been completed. These same drawings indicate the layout of the rooms which remain, the back-to-back bowed room being sitting and dining rooms with a hotel bar to the E, and public bar now a separate adjacent building to the W. The basement was reinforced for use as an ARP shelter during World War II.

References

Bibliography

Gifford and Walker STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002), p264. DEAN OF GUILD RECORDS Refs 3/1903, 16/1904, 2/1923. Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 15 SEAVIEW PLACE, FORMER BANK AND BURGH CHAMBERS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2022 08:36