Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GLENIFFER ROAD, CALDWELL ESTATE, FORMER KEEPER'S HOUSELB49695

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
31/03/2004
Local Authority
East Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
East Renfrewshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 41326 54246
Coordinates
241326, 654246

Description

Probably early 19th century; remodelling earlier 20th century. 3-bay, 3-storey classical villa with pedimented gables. Rendered with raised and polished ashlar margins; cornices to ground and 1st floor windows.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door with key-blocked roll-moulded surround; regular fenestration, windows decreasing in height from ground up.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: central half-landing stair windows to 1st and 2nd floors; flanking windows to each floor, as E elevation.

INTERIOR: not seen (2003).

Some remaining timber horned sash and case windows (formerly 12-pane, stair lights with margin-pane glazing). Grey slates; straight skews; corniced ashlar end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Probably built for the ground keeper of Caldwell estate, the house sits within what was originally a designed landscape. It is perhaps an unusually large estate worker's house but this is no doubt due to the prestige of maintaining the large policies. Caldwell House (Robert and James Adam, 1773, separately listed) was built for William Mure of Caldwell, former MP for Renfrewshire and manager of the Earl of Bute's Scottish estates (Sanderson p89). The former Keeper's House is currently unoccupied and in very poor condition (2003) but remains an important building within the landscape, prominently viewed from the drive leading to Caldwell House. Its design has some elements characteristic of the early 19th century but also many of the earlier 20th century, suggesting remodelling at this date. Davis (above, p195) describes it as 'an elegant little 1920s house with a pediment instead of a gable at each end'. The proportions are classical and the verticality of the building is particularly striking.

References

Bibliography

'Keeper?s House? marked on John Thomson?s map of 1828. Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1856. Michael C Davis CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991) pp193-5. Margaret Sanderson ROBERT ADAM AND SCOTLAND (1992) pp89-90.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENIFFER ROAD, CALDWELL ESTATE, FORMER KEEPER'S HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 06:23