Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

UPHALL, 41 WEST MAIN STREETLB49642

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
03/02/2004
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
Parish
Uphall
NGR
NT 05744 71647
Coordinates
305744, 671647

Description

Circa 1886. Single storey, 4-bay, T-plan, half-timbered and boarded house (said to be a former exhibition pavilion, possibly from the Edinburgh International Exhibition of 1886). Herringbone arrangement of boarding to S and W elevations. Prominent timber bracketed gables to each elevation; pierced timber gableheads; deep overhanging eaves; timber arcading to garden front (S).

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: wide central ground floor window with decorative timber arch framing upper half; timber panel door with round-arched fanlight to

left; bipartite windows to outer bays (that to right blocked with boarded timber).

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: wide central ground floor window.

S (GARDEN FRONT) ELEVATION: advanced, 3-bay, gabled and arcaded central section with later double-doors and large flanking windows (enlarged). Large windows to outer bays.

E ELEVATION: Adjoins No. 39 West Main Street.

Timber and plastic windows. Pitched roofs; grey slates; central stacks; 3 octagonal clay cans.

Statement of Special Interest

A decorative, largely unaltered, late 19th century timber-boarded building with most of its decorative timber detailing kept intact. This building was erected near the site of the former Strathbrock Castle and was first owned by Thomas Johnston. The building, known as Castlehill, is said to have been an exhibition pavilion that was later transferred to its current site N of the Brox Burn. The

pavilion was first used as a mission hall and was later converted to a private dwelling, remaining in the Johnston family for a number of generations. Although Jacques and McKean note the building to be from the 1911 Scottish Exhibition of Natural History, Art and Industry, held in Glasgow, valuation rolls and map evidence confirm a date of 1886, concurrent with the earlier Edinburgh International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art.

References

Bibliography

VALUATION ROLL OF THE COUNTY OF LINLITHGOW (1886-1887). 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1898). R Jacques, C McKean, WEST LOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE p70.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UPHALL, 41 WEST MAIN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 13:07