Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NH 52676 46436
252676, 846436


Significant remaining part of earlier 14th century market cross. Weathered capital with moulded base attached to re-assembled square-plan shaft with rounded edges standing on original and modern plinths (capital and shaft with a number of repairs). Sandstone with resin, mortar and concrete repairs.

Statement of Special Interest

Although being re-sited a number of times, and having lost some of its original fabric, the market cross at Beauly is one of the oldest surviving standing market crosses in Scotland acting as an important early historical symbol of burgh status. McGibbon and Ross (NMRS Archive) state that the cross was originally erected on the high road above Beauly by Lord Hugh Fraser in c.1430 and that in 1746 the cross was broken into several pieces with the pedestal being removed to Belladrum house (the pedestal has never been traced), it is probable at this time that the crosslets and cross section were lost. The cross was re-erected sometime after this using an internal iron rod and relocated to the market square to a position nearby Beauly Priory (see separate listing), it has since been moved to a number of locations within the N end of the square. The name book of 1872 states that it had already been "shifted 3 times in the last 100 years". During the 1970s, due to the deteriorating condition of the cross, the shaft was detached from the base and stored in pieces in the priory. In the late 1980s the cross was re-erected and again re-positioned in the square using part of the original plinths and a new stone base. Various remedial works have been carried since its re-erection in the late 1980s, (2003).



1872 Name Book; 1st edition (Invernesshire) Ordnance Survey map (1881); NMRS Archives (2003).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BEAULY MARKET CROSS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 10:44