Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HALLMUIR, UKRANIAN CHAPEL (GREEK CATHOLIC) WITH MEMORIALLB49592

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/12/2003
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Dryfesdale
NGR
NY 12865 79197
Coordinates
312865, 579197

Description

1942. Single storey, pitched roof, prefabricated hut forming Ukrainian Prisoner of War chapel. Painted corrugated asbestos on timber frame and concrete base. Timber door to N with flanking windows; former electricity pylon above; 2 windows each to E and W elevations. 4- and 6-pane timber windows. Corrugated asbestos roof.

INTERIOR: 6 bays divided by simple kingposted roof trusses. Timber partition forming altar-screen at S end; round-arched opening at centre through to High Altar; square-headed openings to sides. Timber pews, altars, lectern and other furnishings. Ceiling painted blue with gold stars

MEMORIAL: by entrance. Timber post on concrete base, bearing plastic plaque inscribed, in Ukrainian and English "This chapel was created by Ukrainian POWs during their internment here after World War 2".

Statement of Special Interest

In use as an ecclesiastical building. This is the best preserved building surviving in the former Prisoner of War camp, 68 Working Camp, Halmuir Farm. Four other buildings from the camp still exist (two of these are formed from several huts joined together), but they are in a rather dilapidated condition. The camp probably dates from the early 1940s, and originally had 40 buildings. The Ukrainian POWs arrived here after the war in 1947, and previous to that it had been occupied by German and Italian POWs. This building is known to have been used as a chapel by the Italians. After the Ukrainians arrived, they fitted out the chapel in an enthusiastic, if necessarily make-shift manner. Paintings by the POWs hang on the walls, the candlesticks were made out of shell fragments, the banners flanking the altar were made out of the Italians? tents, and on the high altar stands a replica of a Ukrainian Cathedral, which was carved with a penknife. What is perhaps most unusual, is that the chapel remained in use after the camp was disbanded, and services in Ukrainian are still held here several times a year. This chapel is a truly remarkable survival, and is of significant historic importance. The only other surviving POW chapel in Scotland, is the Italian Chapel on Lamb Holm, Orkney. Although the Ukrainian chapel lacks the artistic achievements of the Italian Chapel, it is an equally evocative reminder of wartime spirit, and the way the prisoners found ways to overcome the privations of their situation.

________________________________________________________

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1946-8 OS Map (Provisional Edition). Information courtesy of Mr Pufky. http://catalogue.pro.gov.uk Document FO 939/149 at the Public Record Office, Kew (not seen).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HALLMUIR, UKRANIAN CHAPEL (GREEK CATHOLIC) WITH MEMORIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 04:17