There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 19/11/2003
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 21373 68938
- Coordinates: 321373, 668938
Phoebe Traquair and Frank C Mears, executed by Thomas Hadden, 1924. Wrought-iron railings with naturalistic foliate decoration up ramp leading to 25 Bridge Road, with 2 waist-high gates, and another similar gate onto the lane between Woodhall Road and Bridge Road. Gate at bottom of ramp with tear-shaped rondel at top to centre containing thistle and flower bunch, decorative grid below and decorative scrolls to sides. Semicircular arch over gate with bunch of flowers forming central finial, and realisic birds perched on scrolls to each side. Plain railings linking 4 large square panels, each with thistle or flower motif in central rondel; stamped animal figures to spandrels. The lowest thistle panel is inscribed with the names of Phoebe Traquair, Thomas Hadden, and the initials of Walter Blaikie and his 2 daughters (see Notes). 2 smaller rectangular panels at top of ramp containing lions rampant. 4 tall, narrow sections between panels, rising above railings and surmounted by lilies. Gate near top of ramp with flat interlaced pattern, possibly a monogram. Similar gate to lane between Woodhall Road and Bridge Road.
Statement of Special Interest
The house at 25 Bridge road is not included in this list. These railings were designed by Phoebe Traquair with the help of Frank Mears in the early 1920s. They were commisioned by Walter Biggar Blaikie, who lived at 25 Bridge Road, and was a good friend of Phoebe Traquair. Blaikie was the proprietor of a printing firm, J A Constable, and had known Phoebe Traquair since 1889, when she had done the illustrations of a book that he published.
Phoebe Traquair (1852-1936) was one of the leading artists of the Arts and Crafts movement in Scotland, and the first women to be elected an honourable member of the Royal Scottish Academy. She worked in numerous different fields, including embroidery, book illustration, book binding, enameling, and mural painting. She is most famous for her murals in the mortuary chapel at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh, and at the Catholic Apostolic Church in Mansfield place, Edinburgh. She also produced the illustrations for "Sonnets From The Portuguese" by Elizabeth Barret Browning, and "The Blessed Damozel" and "The House of Life" by Rosetti. Although Phoebe Traquair produced a number of small pieces of metal work (some of which are on display at the Museum of Scotland), she is only known to have designed one other piece of wrought-iron, a flat-work image of St Michael, for St Michael?s church in Bracknell (Berkshire). These railings are therefore a unique and extremely important example of her work.
Frank Mears (1880-1953) was an architect who had studied at Edinburgh School of Applied Art, and had been apprenticed to Lorimer. Before 1914 he had worked with Phoebe Traquair?s son Ramsay Traquair, and had designed ironwork for the First Church of Christ Scientist (Inverleith Terrace, Edinburgh), which was built by Ramsay Traquair in 1910. He presumably helped Phoebe Traquair design the railings, since she had no previous experience of working with wrought-iron. Frank Mears was the son-in-law of Patrick Geddes, and was greatly influenced by his theories. He was the leading planner in Scotland in the 1930s and 1940s, and also carried out a lot of conservation work, including Huntly House and Gladstone?s Land on the Royal Mile.
Thomas Hadden (1871-1940) was the leading manufacturer of wrought-iron work in Scotland in the early part of the twentieth century. He set up his firm in 1901, and produced numerous pieces of wrought-iron work, including gates, screens, fire irons, door furniture, shop signs, weather vanes, and even decorative bootscrapers. Much of his work was designed by him, but he also worked to the designs of others, most famously with Robert Lorimer. After his retirement his firm was carried on by his nephew Robert Hadden, until the early 1970s. Another example of his work in Colinton are the gates at Cottage Homes on Redford Road.
The railings are currently (2003) in a poor condition, and some of the details are badly corroded. Two photographs in the Thomas Hadden collection at the Royal Scottish Museum show sections of the railings in their original condition. One photograph shows the thistle panel, which is at the lowest end of the ramp. The lower spandrels contained scrolls, inscribed with the initials of Walter Blaikie and his wife: WBB 1924 and MB IAB. The lower part of the hoop of the rondel was inscribed PA TRAQUAIR ET FC MEARS DESIG ~ THOS HADDEN FECIT. The writing is still visible, but too faint to be legible.
Information on history of railings and Phoebe Traquair from Elizabeth Cumming. Photographs in Thomas Hadden Collection at the Museum of Scotland. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH, p520.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.