Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

65 BONALY ROAD, THE COTTAGE (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES) AT BONALY TOWER, WITH GARDEN STATUARYLB49548

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - SEE NOTES
Date Added
19/11/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 21387 67825
Coordinates
321387, 667825

Description

W wing circa 1845, S wing circa 1885, converted to dwelling house 1972-82. 2-storey, L-plan former stable block and coach house. Composed of interconnecting blocks of different hights as follows: M-gable (circa 1880) to S elevation, right-hand gable extending back to courtyard, left-hand gable intersecting with E-W orientated block (circa 1845) at centre of W elevation, and continued to N in slightly lower outshot. Single-storey piend-roofed section to east of S range. Crowstepped gables; decorative cartouche frame around central oculus window to W (see Notes). Roughly coursed squared sandstone with droved ashlar quoins and window dressings. Irregular fenestration.

S ELEVATION: circa 1880; large M-gable; timber panelled door to centre; irregular fenestration with various sized windows. Slightly later single-storey piend-roofed block to outer right with timber boarded door and single window.

W ELEVATION: 3 sections; original building at centre and left. Gable to centre, with gablehead stack and cartouche frame decorated with scrolled acanthus and shells around oculus at gable apex; slightly recessed 2-storey section to right with single window at ground and shouldered stack at wallhead; single-storey section to left with single window and timber panelled loft door at gablehead to left (N) return.

N ELEVATION AND COURTYARD: gable to centre; twentieth century windows and stone work at ground, replacing original coach-entrance. Piend-roofed section to left with window and timber boarded door. Advanced section to right of central gable with twentieth century timber panelled door and porch to N; gabled to left (E) return with windows at both floors and gablehead stack. Single-storey block to outer right, forming arm of L; pair of 2-leaf timber boarded coach-house doors with strap hinges between slim central pier to E elevation.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to W elevation. Coped stacks; 1 surviving red clay can. Graded grey slate.

GARDEN STATUARY: several pieces of decorative stone work, including a large urn stand in the garden (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Bonaly Tower and Lord Cockburn's Bath. This building stands in the grounds of Bonaly Tower, which was the home of Lord Cockburn between 1811 and his death in 1854. The earlier part of the stable block, which is shown on the 1855 OS map, was therefore almost certainly built for Lord Cockburn. The decorative cartouche frame around the oculus window corroborates this idea, as Lord Cockburn was a keen collector of ornamental masonry, and many other pieces of decorative stonework are to be found in the grounds of Bonaly Tower. In about 1882 John Watherston, an Edinburgh builder, produced plans for an extension to the stables. The building, as it now stands, is significantly different from Watherston's proposals, but the South wing must have been built at about this time, as it appears on the 1894 OS map. The upper storey of the extension provided accommodation for the gardener and his family. The 1946 Dean of Guild plans, which are by the same firm of architects that converted Bonaly Tower into flats, show a proposal to extend the building and turn it into 2 cottages for agricultural workers. These plans do not seem to have been carried out, and in 1972 the house was purchased in a semi-derelict condition by a builder, who carried out renovations between 1972 and 1982.

References

Bibliography

Plans from John Watherston Collection at NMRS circa 1882 (see Notes). Appears on 1855 and 1894 OS maps. Dean of Guild plans, 3 May 1946.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 65 BONALY ROAD, THE COTTAGE (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES) AT BONALY TOWER, WITH GARDEN STATUARY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 01/12/2022 16:58