Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DULNAIN BRIDGE, SKYE OF CURR HOTEL (FORMERLY TIGH-NA-SGIADH) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS TO SELB49528

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/11/2003
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Duthil And Rothiemurchus
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NH 99270 24762
Coordinates
299270, 824762

Description

Early 1900s. Large villa built in the style of a late 19th century shooting lodge (known to have functioned as such in the mid 20th century), many fine inter-war internal features remaining. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay square-plan (SE) principal block with corner turret and (NE) 2-storey service wing.

Coursed, tooled granite to principal elevations, snecked rubble granite to remaining, polished sandstone dressings, battered base course, corniced cill course to 1st floor of (SE) principal elevation. Timber sash and case windows with multi- paned upper sashes some set within bipartite mullioned openings. Pitched grey slate roofs with bracketted overhanging eaves, bargeboarded to gables. Corniced sandstone gable apex stacks with circular cans.

Notable features include: near symmetrical principal (SE) garden elevation; narrow recessed central bay incorporating large segmental-arched entrance with timber and glass screen, gabled stone dormerhead breaking eaves. Slightly advanced gabled wings flanking, tripartite mullioned box window at ground left, small bipartite round-arched windows in gableheads. 2-storey polygonal spired turret to S corner crowned by weather-vane, predominantly sandstone with moulded geometric eaves cornice. SW elevation; gabled dormerheads breaking eaves to main elevation and service wing recessed at left. Crenellated porch in re-entrant angle, timber boarded door, strap hinges, viewing panel with ornamental grille. NW elevation; bipartite mullioned stair window over porch, single storey gabled outshot with timber-boarded addition. NE elevation; gable of principal range to left, service wing extending to right, gabled dormerheads breaking eaves. Large modern metal fire escape to service wing accessing former 1st floor window and dormered door at attic of principal block. Stone flat-roofed former larder with crenellated parapet leading off from service wing.

INTERIOR: main hall and vestibule to rear (NW): timber

panelling with dentilled corniced plate shelf, simple stone chimneypiece with unusual panelled metal grate, timber dog-leg stair with timber newel posts and balusters. Principal rooms to ground floor; timber floor boards laid in geometric patterns with recessed areas accommodating carpet, various simple 1930s stone chimneypieces, principal window openings flanked by finialled barley-twist timber colonettes, decorative cornices throughout. Service bell-pushes to most rooms, service indicator board to kitchen. 1st floor: Art Deco green bathroom; large stylised bath with matching sink and toilet, vitrolite panels to walls with patterned decorative glass detailing framing both bath and sink, black and white geometric patterned floor

detailing remaining under carpet (2003), black skirting boards. Stylised Art Deco timber chimneypiece to master bedroom at 1st floor with white and black inlay and brushed steel grate, decorative tiled fireplaces to bedrooms including one with Oriental figures. Majority of grates to chimneypieces at ground and 1st floor marked with stamp of Bratt, Colbran & Co, London. Bedrooms to attic.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS TO SE: low granite retaining wall to roadside, pair of capped granite gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Tigh-na-Sgiadh was built as a holiday house for the Mackenzie family. The house does not appear on the 1903 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map however the owner recalls that the deeds date it to being built around 1905. The Church of Scotland newsletter of 1991 records the cost of building as #1200. It is thought that in the

1930s the house was

bought by the jam-manufacturing Hartley family, and used as a shooting lodge. The remodelling of the interior at this time gives the building particular interest with many features surviving, including an Art Deco bathroom and an assortment of fireplaces. In the 1960s, the building was converted to an hotel and remains in this use today. The garden was once notable for its specimen trees, some of which still remain (2003).

References

Bibliography

3rd edition (Invernesshire) Ordnance Survey map (1970); Church of Scotland Newsletter "Bridges" No 5 August 1991; further information courtesy of the owners, Mr and Mrs Bridle (2003).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DULNAIN BRIDGE, SKYE OF CURR HOTEL (FORMERLY TIGH-NA-SGIADH) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS TO SE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 10:43